Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Alien Life - In our lifetime?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well i was HIDEOUSLY bored at work today and during my many journeys around the web i came across an article from some scientist predicting that in the next 50 years or so we COULD come across alien life, mainly in the form of some micro-organism and not neccessarily intelligent life.

What does everyone think about that? Do you think we will come across anything in our lifetimes?

I hope we do, though thinking about it with the technology we have our best bet, within our lifetime, is probably going to be Mars.

Anyway, bit of a different thread .. away from all the politics :p discuss away :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stephen Hawkins reckons based on some new calculations that it is unlikely we will ever meet another intelligent species. I also think it's unlikely that we will come across 'alien' in the form of extra terrestial life in the next 50 years. Where would it come from?
    Well yeah i don't think we will see any intelligent life within our own lifetimes. Of course, i believe there is life out there but yeah we're like a grain of sand in the whole of the universe so its pretty unlikey something is going to find us or if some other lifeform has seen us they're going to be faaaar more advanced then us and probably wouldnt even bother.
    Alien has so many different definitions that people reading what he says will become confused with their belief of what an Alien is in comparison to what an alien can be defined as :thumb:
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Well i was HIDEOUSLY bored at work today and during my many journeys around the web i came across an article from some scientist predicting that in the next 50 years or so we COULD come across alien life, mainly in the form of some micro-organism and not neccessarily intelligent life.

With all the political favours handed to Monsanto et al, it may happen a lot sooner than 50 years.
    i think the problem with working out how likely/soon we find life is hard to work out before we havent already found it, if we prove life is on mars tomorrow it shows that life forms when ever it can, which would mean life is everywhere, but untill we know about one life thats forms else where we wont really have a clue
    Have you never heard of John Redwood?
    john-redwood-$6000812$300.jpg
    In the next 50 years, we may be able to get men to land on Mars. It is already strongly suggested that Martians don't exist. For any chance for us to discover new life would involve going into the next solar system. That won't happen in the next 50 years.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Monserrat wrote: »
    In the next 50 years, we may be able to get men to land on Mars. It is already strongly suggested that Martians don't exist. For any chance for us to discover new life would involve going into the next solar system. That won't happen in the next 50 years.
    For that matter, in the next 50 (or, ok, 100 or more) years we could have populated Mars, even with a small amount of people. Wouldn't they be Martians? :D And if not them, children who are born there and spend their entire life there.
    doubt it, but I've been surprised before...
    Our universe is so infinitely huge. There are more stars than there are grains of sand on Earth.
    By that reckoning there must be life out there. But ironically the chances of us finding it, at least anything intelligent are so small it's not worth thinking about.
    MrG wrote: »
    Have you never heard of John Redwood?
    john-redwood-$6000812$300.jpg
    hahaha!

50 years? Maybe if we stop restricting ourselves in expansion.
    Monserrat wrote: »

I don't think that will happen ever. The next star is 4*10^13 km away from our solar system. As long as men won't get older than 500 years we won't reach the next solar system ever.
    None of you have met me yet.. I am the superior alien force on this planet.
    i always think of aliens as green with tenticles and 3 eyes..but they could come around as organisms..:P hope they do it would be epic