Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

O2 home broadband

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone have it? Any good?

Comments

• Options
    I used to work in their technical support department. In terms of the company itself, as a customer I've found them mostly helpful and quick to fix problems. From an insider's point of view I think it's a pretty good company - free 24/7 UK-based support goes a long way in my opinion! I'm not sure about the whole package, but you do get a free wireless router. O2 mobile customers get 40% off, and you can use anyone you know with an O2 phone to get the discount.

As the service is ADSL2+ the quality of the connection is dependent on the quality of your phone line, distance from the telephone exchange and internal wiring. Line permitting, you can get up to about 23 mbit/s on the top package. For illustration, I have a connection at my dad's house, which is about 3 km from the exchange, and gets a solid but slow 2 mbit/s, while my connection in London is 20 mbit/s.

As with other ADSL providers, any repair work to your line is done by BT openreach engineers, which can be hit and miss at times. This would be the same with any company unless you went for a cable connection.
  • Options
    We have already been told that we could only get about 3mb in this area anyway because of the amount of houses etc in the area. But tbh we are only on 512k or summat with tesco at the moment so cant be any worse?
  • Options
    Are you on 512 k with tesco cos that's the most you can get on your line, or cos that's the limit for you package? If you could get 3 mb that's still a pretty decent speed.
  • Options
    Thats the package we took out AGES ago. Yeah well 3mg is alot faster than we get now lol. Plus we pay 17.97 to tesco and it would be 10 pounds cheaper to go faster with o2.
    Only don't wanna change to another provider if theres alot of downtime as with tesco we have never had any probs.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Anyone have it? Any good?

I was getting an unreliable 12 mb/s with Sky now get a rock steady 16mb/s with O2