Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Am I being silly?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I don't mind if this gets moved, I just don't know where to post it. :confused:

Anyway, my dog has become really ill all of a sudden. He's 10 years old, an Old English Sheepdog (yep, like the Dulux dog :) ) The vet doesn't think he has long left.
It is heartbreaking to see him so ill. However, my friend thinks I am being silly, after all it is only a dog. She has never had a pet but I am beginning to wonder if she is right?
I've been upset about it all day, but i thought this was perfectly natural?

Pah, I don't know what to think anymore. She says I'm being babyish about it, moping about. :(:(:(

Comments

• Options
    If your friend has never had a pet then I really wouldn't take any notice of her. It is incredibly upsetting when a pet is ill or dies.
    Have you been told how long he has left? I imagine it would be difficult to see him being ill, have you considered having him put down?
    Whilst I was on work experience in a vets surgery, I saw so many people in pieces when their animals were sick and it is totally understandable. Tell her to piss off.
  • Options
    No, they didn't say how long left.

Thanks Miss Quoted, you've really helped. :)
  • Options
    No, your friend is a fucking heartless bitch...

I used to have two dogs, we got them when i was 4 years old and they stayed with us until they died..I was 19...When you spend years living in the same house as an animal then you get to feel pretty close...I had to sit by and watch both my dog slowly dying of cancer until we had to have them put down...Hardest time of my life...Harder than seeing certain human family members die.

Your friend is not right and you need to set her straight.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    No, your friend is a fucking heartless bitch...

I used to have two dogs, we got them when i was 4 years old and they stayed with us until they died..I was 19...When you spend years living in the same house as an animal then you get to feel pretty close...I had to sit by and watch both my dog slowly dying of cancer until we had to have them put down...Hardest time of my life...Harder than seeing certain human family members die.

Your friend is not right and you need to set her straight.

You know what it's like because you've had pets and you've had to watch them die and I know how hard that is but aren't you being a bit harsh?
    "your friend is a fucking heartless bitch.." she just doesn't understand, that's all.
    If you've never had a pet you couldn't possibly understand what its like to lose one.
    And Bumblebee, I don't think you are being silly, pets do become a part of the family and it is really hard to let go, I know what its like.
  • Options
    No you are not being silly. Your friend does not know what she is talking about, since she has never had a pet. People get so attached to their pets, it's just like losing a family member if they die or become sick. Your friend is being bloody heartless at a time you don't need her to be, and you need to talk it out with her.

Hope you feel better soon hun, and I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. *hug*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nellyluva2

You know what it's like because you've had pets and you've had to watch them die and I know how hard that is but aren't you being a bit harsh?
    "your friend is a fucking heartless bitch.." she just doesn't understand, that's all.

Not harsh at all...This friend can obviously see that BumbleBee really cares for her pet and is upset about the dog dying. Its just common empathy, you dont need to understand....Saying shes being babyish and silly is being a heartless bitch...
  • Options
    I think we're all going to agree your mates wrong and that she doesn't understand having not had a pet herself.

I know that if anything happaned to my dog I'd be absolutely gutted. So would anyone who's ever had a pet they've cared for etc for a long time. I've got some great memories and Mac is a member of the family. We take the piss out of him like he's one of us and all the rest of it.

Ignore your friend - she doesn't know nought :p
  • Options
    Ilson-Youth, Tashmania, infact everyone, thank you all. I feel so much better about it now. I'm still upset onviously, but at least I know I have a right to be. I spoke to my friend on MSN and showed her a link to this thread and I think she realises now. She did admit she once had a rabbit but was never that attached to it.

Ilso-youth, I was really touched by your story about your dog, it brought a tear to my eye. :(
  • Options
    I cried for about an hour when my sisters hampster died. we were all so fond of it. I am very close to my aunties dog i chose it when i was six and will look after it all the time i possibly can. i love it to pieces and when my auntie needs help im there to feed walk and give the dog its medicine for his arthritis (the vet thinks he has it) i know foir a fact id be in pieces when he goes as i love it so much. you are not to feel silly. and if you do ever need to talk inm here :D:)
  • Options
    *hugs* Poor You Bumblebee. You have all the right in the world to be upset. Im sorry to hear about your dog. I hate it when pets die. :(

I had a bird. I got it when it was 3 weeks old. He was a sweet little love bird called boris (thanx to my dad. He wouldn't answer any other name) I had to feed him out of a syringe cause his mum abandoned him i became like his new mum, nobody else could feed him he wouldn't take it otherwise. He used to be fed off this mixture. He would sit there and he would go to sleep on you. The way he looked at you was so sweet. I loved him to pieces from the day i saw him. Anyway after about a month we had to get some more mixture, We went to the vets and asked him what was best. He told us to get him this cookoo bird seed. So anyway we went to the pet shop and got some of this stuff. Anyway after we fed him he just sat there. He was so quiet i was holding him and he sat there. Usually he would run around on your leg trying to snuggle into you. But he just sat there breathing deeply. about 10 minutes later he died. It was so sudden. I cried for days. I was so upset. I was like his mum and i felt like i had failed him.

Anyway we found out the food was out of date and it had poisoned him. I felt like killing the shop keeper. There was nothing we could do. I had lost him. Basically you can be upset about a pet dying regardless of how long you have had them. I had only had boris for three weeks but he was like my best friend.

Ilson - Youth That story is so sad. It is worse than mine. I really feel for you and everybody else who has lost a pet. It is really sad. :(
  • Options
    It is completely natural to be upset when loosing a pet. I had my dog from the age of two till i was 18, i had grown up with her, she was a big part of my life and i was very attached to her. Unfortunately this year she developed kidney failure and had to be put to sleep at the age of 16. I was heart broken and cried for a week. That may seem a bit over the top but a huge part of my life had been taken away.
    You shouldnt feel silly or embarrased for grieving over a pet. I always become emotionally envolved with my pets and therefore loosing them is very emotional.

Anyway, im very sorry to hear your news. I hope your dog doesn't suffer too much.
  • Options
    There are so many sad posts in this thread. An animal can be more of a family member than a pet, I know my cat is, and so was my last cat who I had been with since being about one year old. I was devistated when she was put to sleep.
    I think the best thing you can do is just make your dogs last few days/weeks/months the happiest you can, and let him/her know how much he/she means to you. Good luck.