Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

600 Quid Phone Bills!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This month I got an absolute shock when I checked my phone bill... For the last two months I have paid 300 pounds!

I live in Spain and so chose a high cost package (35 a month) which I thought would cover my costs for calls to the uk. Obviously I have been over spending, but 600????

The thing is, I have a service from t-mobile that sends me texts every so often to tell me how much allowance I have left to spend, and so I thought from the text message that I still had over 100 pounds to spend, when really no!!

Is there anything I can do to get it back? I think it is really misleading that I would receive a text message telling me one figure that I still had to spend, and then in reality it being absolutely false.

Comments

• Options
    talia wrote: »
    Is there anything I can do to get it back? I think it is really misleading that I would receive a text message telling me one figure that I still had to spend, and then in reality it being absolutely false.

Unless you are claiming that you didn't actually make the calls then I think you are on thin grounds for getting any money back.

So yeah, good luck with that.
  • Options
    It sounds like it would be worth getting in touch with T Mobile.

Are you sure your overseas calls are included in your package? I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't which would explain why you are getting high phone bills and texts saying you've got lots of your allowance left.

I wouldn't expect to get anything back from them necessarily, but hopefully you can find a more suitable contract for future.

If you live in Spain, you'd probably be better off with a spanish phone....
  • Options
    Yep. If you are using a UK phone in Spain then you are also going to be paying to recieve calls, too.
  • Options
    Are you sure your overseas calls are included in your package? I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't which would explain why you are getting high phone bills and texts saying you've got lots of your allowance left.

If you live in Spain, you'd probably be better off with a spanish phone....

:yes: When I went to Germany for a couple of months on a research trip I managed to pick up a PAYG phone plus about €11 worth of credit for €15. That was a particularly stellar deal, but I'm sure there are other similar ones about. It's always a good idea to have a mobile for the country if you're there for a while, as, apart from anything else, any Spaniads who you might want to phone you may be put off calling a UK number, quite apart from the horrific expense for yourself.

If you also have a landline look up on google whether there are any international calling codes which can get you cheaper calls calling the UK, and/or get one of those international phone card things various companies sell.
  • Options
    the t mobile flext tariff 'credit' is only usable for domestic calls to landlines or mobiles. no 0800 / 0845 type numbers and certainly no international calls.

you can try appealing to their better nature but they are in it to make money from you at the end of the day and you signed the contract.. :/
  • Options
    I've never heard of a phone contract that includes overseas calls for £35 a month, I think it's a case of you wrongly assuming that x-hundred minutes covers you for everything. I wouldn't count on getting the money back.
  • Options
    Your terms and conditions will state that there's a delay on any cash barriers you put in place, so they will tell you to go forth and multiply. On a UK phone you're paying international roaming rates, which are normally about 30p-40p/minute to make a call and about half that to receive a call. If you've been using a UK phone regularly in Spain then a £600 bill isn't really unreasonable or excessive. You won't get anywhere trying to haggle it down.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    On a UK phone you're paying international roaming rates, which are normally about 30p-40p/minute to make a call and about half that to receive a call.

I think the problem is making the distinction between inclusive calls and those that arent inclusive. If you get the flext tariff for example they just say its £180 worth of call credit, and it's only in the small print it says thats only applicable to domestic calls and stuff.

Although I don't think ignorance of the smallprint however devious (I have NO doubt that this is one of the big ways they make money, by misdirecting their customers) is a defence either so talia might be out of luck.

If you got the contract in the UK your last resort if you don't get any reductions or such over the phone would be to report them to the office of fair trading and just say you dont feel the terms of the contract were very transparent with them advertising the contract as credit free to do with as you like.

Also according to their website NOW international calls and 08** numbers ARE inclusive, here's a screengrab of the ad:

Good luck but it might just be a case of chalking it up to experience - dont trust anyone who wants you to sign a contract.
  • Options
    let's be honest though, it should be fairly obvious to anybody that you aren't getting international calls in your allowance, it's not something any company I'm aware of offers. Cheaper calls for a fixed rate perhaps, but not international allowances.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

Also according to their website NOW international calls and 08** numbers ARE inclusive, here's a screengrab of the ad:

The bit quoted is talking about calls to international numbers (from your mobile in the UK). Not quite the same thing.

This was a stuff up, plain and simple. In much the same way as I blew 100 quid once using the internet when I was away from home.
  • Options
    The whole reason i took the contract was because the guy in the shop told me it was the ONLY company that allowed international calls as part of the tariff. He explicitly told me that if I went with another company it would be pointless getting a contract because I couldnt use any of the calls overseas, but I would be able to with t-mobile. :banghead:
  • Options
    talia wrote: »
    the shop told me it was the ONLY company that allowed international calls as part of the tariff.

Lets read back what you said,

"allowed international calls as part of the tariff", if he said that then no offence your a bit silly

International calls are making calls to another country,

Using a phone in another country is totally different, very very different infact and if you believed "international calls" is using a phone abroad you are very mistaken,

I get free/cheap international calls on my landline, does that mean I can take my landline abroad n use it? nope, tbh i think you got this bill because you misunderstood and thought something was to good to be true, and thus is partly your fault and tbh should pay
  • Options
    Read your contract! Preferably before making overseas calls
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think the problem is making the distinction between inclusive calls and those that arent inclusive. If you get the flext tariff for example they just say its £180 worth of call credit, and it's only in the small print it says thats only applicable to domestic calls and stuff.

Given that the issue of international roaming rates haven't been out of the news for, ooh, three years, it should be pretty obvious that you check the small print before you start ringing up all and sundry from abroad.

I have a great deal of sympathy for people who get clobbered with huge phone bills as a result of not checking things, but that's life.
  • Options
    You might be able to argue you we miss sold the package by the staff member

I'd try this people

http://www.otelo.org.uk/pages/1home.php

They might be able to get you a deal