Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lactose Intolerance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So a whole ago I posted about stomach pains after eating and lots of people suggested it might be IBS. I didn't do a food diary but it did get a bit better and less frequent and I'm now noticing that it seems to be happening usually when I've had dairy (milk/ice cream/cheese/whatever) but only when it's JUST the dairy-thing, and not when it's in stuff (like I can have hot chocolate and my pastabeansncheese dinner the other night didn't give me much pain at all). Does this sound normal? I know you can buy all this stuff without lactose in but I don't even know what the symptoms of lactose intolerance are. Is it basically the same as IBS symptoms?

Eugh at my body, seriously.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/foodintolerance1.shtml

I found a little bit on the BBC website but there are lot's of lactose intolerance websites around which might help :)

Maybe go to the Dr's and see what they say, although they may ask you to keep a food diary for a few weeks.
    Wow, I think this might be it :|. Or at least something-intolerance. Even down to the alcohol bit and the bloating.

I think I'll keep a food diary first and if my unreliable half-memory of what I've eaten is right and I see a pattern, off to the doctors I go for probably some more sodding pills.
    Symptoms are usually pain, bloating, diarrhoea, maybe nausea.

Also worth remembering that there are degrees of it. You don't have to be totally intolerant to all dairy. The symptoms are caused by a deficiency of the enzyme lactase, and if you make a little lactase, but not enough, you will be only partially intolerant. Like with me, i can happily eat hard cheese or yoghurt, but fresh milk or ice cream are not the best idea!

The first thing a doc will do is tell you to keep a food diary, so going with one would give you a head start!
    I had similar symptoms and they are much, much less now I've cut most dairy out. If I keep my intake low I can sometimes get away with pizza, or a long milky drink.

Also, only cow milk products have lactose in so you can still eat goat's cheese, buffalo mozzarella, feta, etc.
    I'm mentioning some of the main symptoms of Lactose Intolerance,If you have anyone of this Symptoms then You are definatly Suffered this:

Symptoms of lactose intolerance can be mild to severe, depending on how much lactase your body makes. Symptoms usually begin 30 minutes to 2 hours after you eat or drink milk products. If you have lactose intolerance, your symptoms may include:

* Bloating.
    * Pain or cramps.
    * Gurgling or rumbling sounds in your belly.
    * Gas.
    * Loose stools or diarrhea.
    * Throwing up.

Many people who have gas, belly pain, bloating, and diarrhea suspect they may be lactose-intolerant. The best way to check this is to avoid eating all milk and dairy products to see if your symptoms go away. If they do, then you can try adding small amounts of milk products to see if your symptoms come back.