Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

medication - take on an empty stomache

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere and I have no need to go to the pharmacy anytime soon to ask... and I don't use the phone ;)

A medications directions are take in the morning on an empty stomache and don't eat for an hour after. Does this mean just solid food, could I drink juice with it? I'm freaking starving and water just doesn't cut it :p

Comments

• Options
    i'm guessing it would depend on what the medication is for...
  • Options
    Ah that might have helped :p its levothyroxine or however you want to spell it for underactive thyroid. I know it's an idiot question. I just started it not too long ago and have to go back in soon to see if the dose is working so I'm trying to be super strict with the directions until then at least.
  • Options
    Juice? Or just water? I read that fruit juices reduce the effectiveness of certain medications, although I would assume water is fine to help swallow. Not 100% sure though
  • Options
    its best to take most meds with water - i did ask about mine and i can take them with anything other than alcohol
  • Options
    Thank you kindly. I guess I can suffer water only a few more weeks until I'm back to ask the doc. Unless I die of starvation before then! ;)
  • Options
    it has been said that your body presents exactly the same symptoms when its thirsty as when its hungry, so you might take your meds with a glass of water then suddenly not feel hungry any more ;)
  • Options
    Hi Simba,

I used to take thyroxine and never really kept to anything like that, as long I remembered to take it daily I was fine!

It is just replacing what should normally be in your body so I don't think that eating/drinking would make a huge amount of difference.
  • Options
    it has been said that your body presents exactly the same symptoms when its thirsty as when its hungry, so you might take your meds with a glass of water then suddenly not feel hungry any more ;)

I wish that was it. I take it with a full pint of water, and then another when I get to work and I only get hungrier!

And thanks for that splodgey! Soon as I get the other test, just in case, and see if everything is normal I think my daily routine will definatly be getting back to normal. What a relief to hear.
  • Options
    You'll be alright eating less than an hour after taking it, but the food can alter the rate of absorbtion, and you may end up needing to take a higher dose to compensate for the reduced absorbtion.

I'm on it, but I don't eat for an hour after taking it personally. Taking vitamin tablets within a few hours of the thyroxine can also affect how it is absorbed. Maybe take it last thing at night instead of the mornings, if you're struggling to wait for the food?
  • Options
    I eat right before bed too. I get really sick to my tummy if it gets empty :(

Ah fuck it I'll just make an appt now and ask all the questions. This is too confusing.

But thank you loads and loads for all your help :)

I'll just mention I have to eat and perhaps she'll sugest I do what I do and then come in for another test? Whatever.