Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Iranian Execution provokes outrage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8030437.stm

Sounds quite horrendous, although not surprising or unusual in Iran...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's not much one can say here really. As far as Iran is concerned, its hardly shocking any more. Just another example of the evil from this non-secular Islamic state.
    Disgusting.

Though to be fair, in this particular instance, the case in hand does not seem particularly worse than those seen in other countries with the death penalty, from China to the US. Execution of people who commited crimes as minors and on dodgy evidence is sadly all too common.

All executions, no matter the crime or circumstances, should receive universal condemnation from everyone until that barbaric practice is eradicated from Earth forever.
    Fair point, Aladdin. I agree with you. I suppose I just keep remembering all the executions in Iran that have seemingly been based on religious intolerance.
    An awful case, but before we get on our high horses too much, look at our friends across the pond. They also routinely kill young people, and people with severe mental health problems.

This highlights the problem generally with the death penalty, though. If she'd committed the murder then I'd personally have no problems with executing her, but I don't think anyone can trust the police and the judiciary to a) make the right decisions and b) tell the truth.
    Bad choice confessing to a murder you didn't commit in a country that is more than willing to lynch people.
    Disgusting,shocking,evil,horrendous.

There does not seem to be the same level of condemnation aimed at the murderer of Mahin Darabi.

From the facts of the case as stated the actual murderer was either Delara Darabi or Amir Hussain. The non murderer of the two being an accomplice before or after the fact depending on which statement is the lies. The intention of the escapade being to steal from Mahin Darabi.

Thou shall not do murder. Thou shall not steal. Thou shall not bear false witness.

Which of those fundamentals are considered "non-secular" ?
    what do you expect from a middle easten country?
    Territt wrote: »
    what do you expect from a middle easten country?
    Your posting behaviour appears increasingly to be single-sentence claims of defammatory/ trolling nature, followed by a disappearance until the next clever remark.

I could point out to you a good number of non-Middle Eastern nations that behave in the same way, including some from our beloved Western World, but I guess I'd be wasting my time trying to engage you in discussion...
    A terrible case.

I was searching wikipedia for things like this today. Iran in particular. Very scary stuff :(
    I agree and disagree with what Kermit said. I disagree that if we could be sure I would be happy for the death sentence because I'm a bit squemish I guess - the concept of state ordained killing as a punishment is horrific to me - but I do agree that we can never have an absolute truth in court, there will always be space for new evidence or an appeal or anything like that which is why using an absolutely ultimate penalty is not appropriate in a fair legal system.

Then again I don't think anyone pretends Iran will be winning any awards for the most fair legal system so maybe we should expect this.
    I agree and disagree with what Kermit said. I disagree that if we could be sure I would be happy for the death sentence because I'm a bit squemish I guess - the concept of state ordained killing as a punishment is horrific to me - but I do agree that we can never have an absolute truth in court, there will always be space for new evidence or an appeal or anything like that which is why using an absolutely ultimate penalty is not appropriate in a fair legal system.

Then again I don't think anyone pretends Iran will be winning any awards for the most fair legal system so maybe we should expect this.
    ShyBoy wrote: »

The philosophising does not seem relevant in this case.