Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

TheSite.org and Phorm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As some of you might know there's been some discussion about the new advertising technology - Phorm and how invasive it is for users.

You can see more here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2009/apr/28/phorm-startups

We've decided to opt out all YouthNet websites, including TheSite.org from Phorm, feel free to check out our latest press release for details peeps -

http://www.youthnet.org/mediaandcampaigns/pressreleases/phormoptout

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm really pleased to see that.

Just a shame that the clowns at the Home Office don't think the same. How Phorm can be deemed legal is beyond me.
    I emailed them a few days back asking how to prevent them from indexing or following a user onto a particular website, but have heard nothing back.

Do you just have to add something to robots.txt, or are they going to be awkward and use a different method?
    Glad to hear it, as nice as it may seam for some people, it should be a service that the customer should have to opt for. Not something that's forced upon people!
    :thumb:
    Least someone is doing something, good on you, as kermit said, shame bout those monkeys at the home office. Apparently its deemed "legal" as its part of most T&C's for ISP's which is a load of bullshit. anyway you can opt out of it? or is it being forced/given no choice.
    I emailed them a few days back asking how to prevent them from indexing or following a user onto a particular website, but have heard nothing back.

Do you just have to add something to robots.txt, or are they going to be awkward and use a different method?

Our understanding is that they are operating an opt-out system - so websites contact them to opt-out of the services.

Of course that provides no support for individuals to opt out, hence our decision.
    Yes, but im assuming I have no choice to opt out of my browsing habbits being monitored etc.
    I'm not surprised to discover the Home Office are keen on Phorm. It's far from being the only company the government uses to try and monitor the internet. Ever heard of a company called Meltwater? They're a media organisation which is dedicated to "online media monitoring". The Government pay them to keep an eye on what is said about government and its ministers on newspaper websites and blogs. Just as well, as certain ministers dare not read what some people think of them.

In summary: Phorm = cunts. The Home Office = cunts.
    Jim V wrote: »
    Our understanding is that they are operating an opt-out system - so websites contact them to opt-out of the services.

Of course that provides no support for individuals to opt out, hence our decision.

Who, or where, did you have to contact to have the site opt-out? I'm an ex-admin of a pretty large site, and I'd probably be keen to have it opted-out... :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That sounds good (but I admit I've not heard anything about phorm before now). Keep up the good work :)