Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

pooping blood - icky

sorry for posting about a not-so-pleasant subject!

so yeah, i keep pooping blood. obviously, i realise this isn't normal but is it anything to worry about?

i would go to my doctor but tbh, im just sick of going regarding my stomach problems right now (my digestive system fails to work properly) and its just embarassing especially because its my own fault that its happening (previously abused laxatives, didn't listen to anyone, carried on taking them and now im fucked - own fault).

i rarely go (once a week at most) but when i do, theres blood in it. could this just be because im constantly constipated?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it bright red blood? And do you have pain? Likely explanation is piles, especially because you're constipated all the time.

Tbh, I'd see a doctor, about the infrequency as much as the blood. It being self inflicted is no excuse.
  • Options
    You've come on an internet website to ask whether shitting blood is anything to worry about. Hmm.

Unless you've had vigorous anal sex in the last few days, of course it is. Even if it's just piles, they need treating.
  • Options
    sorry for posting about a not-so-pleasant subject!

so yeah, i keep pooping blood. obviously, i realise this isn't normal but is it anything to worry about?

i would go to my doctor but tbh, im just sick of going regarding my stomach problems right now (my digestive system fails to work properly) and its just embarassing especially because its my own fault that its happening (previously abused laxatives, didn't listen to anyone, carried on taking them and now im fucked - own fault).

i rarely go (once a week at most) but when i do, theres blood in it. could this just be because im constantly constipated?

You could have piles if you're constipated, which would make you poo blood. However it could be any number of things and it's really not something to ignore so my advise is see the doctor whether it's annoying and embarrassing or not.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    You've come on an internet website to ask whether shitting blood is anything to worry about. Hmm.

well, it could be something that is quite common for those that suffer from constipation. i don't know hence why ive asked for advice. i want to avoid going to the doctors really as it is quite embarassing :( its embarassing just going about the constipation issue :(

and no, i haven't had bum sex.
  • Options
    Embarrassment isn't an excuse either. Doctors hear this stuff every day. And you'll be a whole lot more embarrassed if your arse falls out because you neglected to have it seen to.
  • Options
    I've had a doctor's finger proding about up there before... Yeah it wasn't very nice and was quite embarrassing, but I felt a whole lot better for knowing what was going on up there.

It can be fairly common to get some blood with constipation - but only when the constipation is causing problems which are best seen by a doctor.

Just got to grit your teeth and go see your GP I think.
  • Options
    well, it could be something that is quite common for those that suffer from constipation. i don't know hence why ive asked for advice. i want to avoid going to the doctors really as it is quite embarassing :( its embarassing just going about the constipation issue :(

and no, i haven't had bum sex.

embarassment or possibly dying of cancer - the choice is yours! :p

Thats not to say that this is cancer or that it is even very likely but please go to the doctor because it *could* be something serious and the sooner it is sorted the better. If it isn't something serious then you can have piece of mind and not stress about it. Embarassment is short lived..... health issues often aren't.
  • Options
    Perhaps you could ask to see a different doctor when you make the appointment? :)
  • Options
    mmm thanks for the replies guys.

i suppose im just going to have to see my doctor. i posted this thread just to see whether it really was something to worry about because it may be something that is really common in those who suffer from the same stomach problems i do. like i said in my first post, i do realise that this isn't normal. i just wanted someone to say otherwise because i hate seeing my doctor about these things. its not so much embarsassment because of the problem, its the cause of the problem. i just feel really stupid when i ask them for help because its my own fault. i know its what they are there to do but i just feel like an idiot asking for help for problems im the cause of. i just feel ashamed and like a stupid little girl who fucked around with her body who is now complaining because her health has suffered as a result. just bahhhhh. :banghead:

bah. will go the doctors then i suppose :( meh.
    thank you for everyones replies.
  • Options
    It'd be more embarrasing to leave it and end up having to use a bag for the rest of your life.

I am sure you'd prefer to avoid going to your doctors, but really the constipation isn't even normal, let alone the pooing blood when you do go. Anyone who says otherwise is just lying to make you feel better.
  • Options
    i had blood in my stools and ended up in A&E with a stomach ulcer...

get it checked!
  • Options
    On the Embarrasing Bodies show on Channel 4 the doctor on there said if the blood is fresh and bright red it's more likely to be piles or something around that area but if it's older and dark it could be something more serious. But get it checked anyway as long term constipation isn't good.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    but if it's older and dark it could be something more serious.

:|
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    On the Embarrasing Bodies show on Channel 4 the doctor on there said if the blood is fresh and bright red it's more likely to be piles or something around that area but if it's older and dark it could be something more serious. But get it checked anyway as long term constipation isn't good.

If the bood is darker it generally means it is older blood from higher up in the gut, whereas if it's bright red it's generally fresh and from the lower end of the gut. Any type of blood in stools is never normal and should be checked even if it is from piles etc.

The Dr's aren't going to judge you thats not there job, they are there to treat you and solve the problem. If it helps see a female Dr maybe?
    They may wan't a stool sample so be prepared for that!

But go sooner rather than later. It may turn out to be nothing at all...but then again you just never know whats going on inside. They probably see more patients than you think who have abused laxatives and don't think ay worse of them honestly...please go for you own health!
  • Options
    mmm thanks for the replies guys.

i suppose im just going to have to see my doctor. i posted this thread just to see whether it really was something to worry about because it may be something that is really common in those who suffer from the same stomach problems i do. like i said in my first post, i do realise that this isn't normal. i just wanted someone to say otherwise because i hate seeing my doctor about these things. its not so much embarsassment because of the problem, its the cause of the problem. i just feel really stupid when i ask them for help because its my own fault. i know its what they are there to do but i just feel like an idiot asking for help for problems im the cause of. i just feel ashamed and like a stupid little girl who fucked around with her body who is now complaining because her health has suffered as a result. just bahhhhh. :banghead:

bah. will go the doctors then i suppose :( meh.
    thank you for everyones replies.

I hope you have never felt judged by any doctors you've spoken to before, because that isn't what they're there for, and if they have been off with you at all you should know that they are in the wrong, not you. Everyone makes mistakes, you're now doing the adult and right thing by admitting that what you did wasn't very wise and you are now looking after yourself properly and wanting to be healthy and get sorted out. That can only be a good thing in anyones eyes.
    If you see a sympathetic doctor, let them know how you're feeling about being so judgemental about yourself... I'm sure they would reassure you that they want what's best for you too. Please don't let it put you off going. I know it's easier said than done, but look how far you've come that you're now looking after your body and wanting the help despite the embarrassment.

I've been in hospital twice cos of bleeding from the bum... First time it turned out I have C.diff which was pretty scary, but very easily treated as I got help straight away... Second time they thought I had piles and it turned out to be endometriosis in my rectum. Fun times.
    You really can't predict what it could be causing the bleeding until you get checked out, it could be something very mundane and easily treatable... or it could be something that needs nipping in the bud before it gets any worse.