Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

should i go to spain?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i have a little dilema and dont know what i should do.

I have not had time off work for about 8 months and a actuall holiday in years.

My grandparents cant go to their timeshare this year so there is 2 weeks available in Spain on a resort. I have a week off work and am thinking about going.

Flights will cost me £120 and i am sure i could live on £200 for the week, the question is should i go on my own?

I am unable to take anyone with me due to it being too late notice/they cant get time off work and they have no money.
I would think that in the day i would just sit by the pool and the afternoon would eat (but i wont look like a loner) and then what to i do afterwords?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Depends how outgoing you are / can you speak Spanish??

I'm not the kind of person who would go somewhere internationally on his own, but mainly down to lack of confidence/experience than anything else.
    But I've also been in the same boat re: holidays (none for ages, makes you feel like work is the only thing in life!!) so I'd say if you have a chance for a well earned break, grab it with both hands.
  • Options
    i think you should. I bet it will be really liberating. You could do exactly whatever you felt like the whole time, and it will be lovely and sunny, and better than being on your own with nothing to do in the UK.
    Lots of people go on holiday alone
  • Options
    Yeah, Im going!

I mean...

HOME:
    Wake up at 2pm, sit on PC/spend money on crap and go to bed at like 4am

SPAIN:
    Wake up at 9pm, sit by the pool/sea get a nice tan and then go out either to a bar for a few drinks.

I know what one wins, cheers! :D
  • Options
    you wont get that good a tan at 9pm, even in spain
  • Options
    Yeah I'm sure it will be fun! Just take some stuff to read and an mp3 player for the day, you can cook for yourself or go out to eat, go out to bars in the evening if you want or just chill out. I've been on holiday on my own and loved it, it is very relaxing and very liberating.
  • Options
    Yeah, Im going!

I mean...

HOME:
    Wake up at 2pm, sit on PC/spend money on crap and go to bed at like 4am

SPAIN:
    Wake up at 9pm, sit by the pool/sea get a nice tan and then go out either to a bar for a few drinks.

I know what one wins, cheers! :D

Awesome, enjoy! :D
  • Options
    A friend of my dad used to go to one of the Canary Islands on his own he went quite a few times and had a great time.
  • Options
    you wont get that good a tan at 9pm, even in spain

lol, and therefore it makes sense she should stay in Britain.
  • Options
    Do it, you just get to go explore as and when you want. Brilliant!
  • Options
    a neighbour just came back from france (allthough not spain) but its the same because of the euro and he said he was paying £6 for a pint of beer?

true?
  • Options
    heck, get your visum and stay there for half a year and work there. and learn spanish, and samba and eat paella, lots. Once in a lifetime occasion.

a neighbour just came back from france (allthough not spain) but its the same because of the euro and he said he was paying £6 for a pint of beer?

true?

well, france does not have unified alcohol prizing. So if I order a beer in King Ludwigs castle from Jacques Chirac himself I will probably pay a bit more if I order a beer in some sleazy harbour dive.
  • Options

true?

Yeah, he's probably not far off. The euro exchange rate is rubbish at the mo. Although in my experience Spain is usually cheaper than France, it will be more than usual cause the prices over there haven't changed, but you get a lot less for your sterling.

If your pint of beer is €6, a couple of years ago that would have worked out about £4, but now it's pretty much £6. Not great.