Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Flu pandemic here?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8018356.stm

Speaks for itself I think!
A top US health official said the strain of swine flu had spread widely and could not be contained.

Speaking after a meeting of the WHO's emergency committee, Mrs Chan said that "the current events constitute a public health emergency of international concern".

Comments

• Options
    Way to ruin my fun! Earlier today I saw some news thing about some highschoolers with it and we were joking that they called it the swine flu cuz we're all p-i-g- hog Americans... but now I learn it started elsewhere.
  • Options
    we are overdue a pandemic of sorts, still worrying though. The BBC are reporting that a BA worker recently returned from Mexico has been admitted to hospital wih symptoms.....
  • Options
    The BA Steward does not have H1N1 but 10 NZ students are said to likely be infected with H1N1.
  • Options
    Just reading the news now, 2 Scots just arrived back from Mexico suspected.......

Several unconfirmed reports in France, same again in Israel.
  • Options
    eeeek :shocking:
  • Options
    It's too early to panic. leave it a month, and see how its going, THEN consider panicing.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    It's too early to panic. leave it a month, and see how its going, THEN consider panicing.

:yes: Its very early days, anyone else remember the panic over SARS or avian flu in recent years when the viruis first started speading. Yes it could be very unpleasent but with the media attention, most people are being cautious (hence the isolation of people returning from Mexico with flu like symptons) We are overdue a flu pandemic but we also one of the best prepared countries in the world (mainly because we have a massive stockpile of anti-virials)
  • Options
    :yes: Its very early days, anyone else remember the panic over SARS or avian flu in recent years when the viruis first started speading. Yes it could be very unpleasent but with the media attention, most people are being cautious (hence the isolation of people returning from Mexico with flu like symptons) We are overdue a flu pandemic but we also one of the best prepared countries in the world (mainly because we have a massive stockpile of anti-virials)

I'm not sure we have the vaccination for this strain as it is such a mutated strain. Supposedly the normal flu vaccinations won't prevent it. Two Dr's in Mexico have died from it, they believed they would be protected due to having the general flu vaccine.
    A strain is being sent over from america to hopefully produce a vaccine for this strain.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I'm not sure we have the vaccination for this strain as it is such a mutated strain. Supposedly the normal flu vaccinations won't prevent it. Two Dr's in Mexico have died from it, they believed they would be protected due to having the general flu vaccine.
    A strain is being sent over from america to hopefully produce a vaccine for this strain.

From what I've read, we have no vaccine for it - the american department of health have already formulated a vaccine but it will take months to manufacture and distribute on a large scale and until they know how big this problem is going to be... well it's watch and wait time atm. But there are anti-virals that are effective to a degree, within the first day or two of getting symptoms they can give you a course of this medicine which should reduce the severity of the symptoms.

Not really much in the news about it today though I noticed.

This is a bit more dangerous than the bird flu as if I recall correctly, bird flu was able to transmit from birds to humans, but this one can go from human to human. So the danger previously was that it would mutate and they would get a 'superflu' that was as dangerous as the bird flu in being able to harm humans, but as contagious as human flu. I think what swine flu is this mutated version. Bear in mind with the h5n1 they never declared it an international emergency, which they pretty much have now.

Not trying to panic anyone lol, just from what I've read it does seem more 'potentially' dangerous in that you can just catch it like normal flu. In fact someone could catch it but not exhibit symptoms but continue spreading it to other people. With bird flu it was generally only people who worked with poultry that caught it, and then they just cull the poultry a bit like foot and mouth.
  • Options
    unlike the bird flu that was blown up by the press, this one is a little more serious - this is a H1N1 variant, and unlike the bird flu, it spreads from human to human.

This year's annual flu-jab has protection against a different H1N1 strain, this may provide some protection.

The anti-virals we have stockpiled can mostly prevent the spread to those caring for people that have it, and reduce the seriousness of the infection.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this one mostly kills people in their 20s and 30s like the one after the first world war?
  • Options
    too early to say really, 86 isn't statistically large enough to tell.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    unlike the bird flu that was blown up by the press, this one is a little more serious - like the bird flu, this is a H5N1 variant, but it appears to spread human to human.

This year's annual flu-jab has protection against a different H5N1 strain, this may provide some protection.

The anti-virals we have stockpiled can mostly prevent the spread to those caring for people that have it, and reduce the seriouslness of the infection.

I thought it was H1N1?
  • Options
    Hmm yes, you're right. Sorry, not paying much attention to it, as I said it doesn't get interesting for a few weeks yet.
  • Options
    Anti-viral agents and vaccines are two different things. Vaccination against influenza is largely a guessing game before the flu season each year due to mutation and shuffling of different strains, and on the most part is completely pointless unless there is a specific strain that has been studied at length. Even if there is a specific strain, vaccine production takes a long time and only at-risk groups would be vaccinated unless their was a high possibility of a UK epidemic.

During the bird flu outbreak the government had access to Tamiflu (the antiviral used to treat it) but chose to buy only small amounts for a select few important people. They do not have massive amounts of anti-virals stocks. However, there were never any immediate risk from H5N1 unless it became able to be transmitted between humans. The H1N1 strain causing the current outbreak is less likely to kill people but can be transmitted from human to human and so has more chance of causing a pandemic. As such the government might see this strain as more of a threat and produce vaccine and/or anti-virals accordingly, but only if it cannot be contained first as this would be much cheaper than producing vast stocks of drug for no reason.
  • Options
    Bird Flu, anyone? Bird Flu was defo gonna get us. Now it appears Swine Flu is going to do the same. We just need Shark Flu now and we'll have the trinity.
  • Options
    When we have an ebola pandemic I'll be scared, but not before.

Reminds me of Broken News' tomato flu.
  • Options
    I'm just in complete shock that Stargalaxy or the tabloid press haven't blamed Gordon Brown for the swine flu yet. Standards are falling...
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this one mostly kills people in their 20s and 30s like the one after the first world war?

Apparently most of the victims have been in the age group 25 - 45 however I agree that it's too early to draw any statistical conclusions.

Suspected death toll is up to 100 in mexico now. :/

Totals:
    Confirmed cases: 45
    Suspected cases: 1,783
    Suspected deaths: 103

According to wikipedia.

The mortality rate is pretty low from something I read, something like 7.1%. It's just that it can be caught as easily as the common cold that makes it dangerous. The spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2.5%.

But again, the numbers aren't there yet to make any real predictions. But I think what we are seeing are the perfect precusors to a pandemic - if there was going to be a pandemic, this would be how it starts... lets just hope it doesn't end that way.
  • Options
    The Dizzy Thinks blog puts it far better than I could.
  • Options
    During the bird flu outbreak the government had access to Tamiflu (the antiviral used to treat it) but chose to buy only small amounts for a select few important people. They do not have massive amounts of anti-virals stocks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7857824.stm

The select few will be priority in a pandemic but there are enough antivirals for half of the population.
  • Options
    Scott. wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7857824.stm

The select few will be priority in a pandemic but there are enough antivirals for half of the population.

If I am earmarked for one then the half of the population that are without can have mine with pleasure.

I am sure that the fear and gloom shown by many is not shared by Baxter International Inc. and GlaxoSmithKline Plc. A marvellous business opportunity in these depression hit times.
  • Options
    You don't need antivirals for the entire population. Quarantine and treat the infected as and when they are infected.
  • Options
    Everytime I refresh the wikipedia stats page it just goes up. currently:

75 confirmed
    2200+ suspected
    149 deaths (20 confirmed)

edit: 2 confirmed cases in the UK http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8020208.stm
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    You don't need antivirals for the entire population. Quarantine and treat the infected as and when they are infected.

thats a lovely plan but what about the incubation period where infected persons are symptomless but still spreading virus? if you only treat those that are showing symptoms you will not stop the spread.
  • Options
    sneer wrote: »
    thats a lovely plan but what about the incubation period where infected persons are symptomless but still spreading virus? if you only treat those that are showing symptoms you will not stop the spread.

I am not an expert :) but antivirals only work when you actually have the virus. So you can't start treating people randomly as it's not like a vaccination where it will stop them getting it altogether, it just uses up good medicine that should be saved for the people who actually get it. Prophylaxis doesn't work for antivirals. The only exceptions would be those who are at high risk such as healthcare professionals who they may want to keep on an extended course in case they do get it.

When the vaccine has been developed, depending on the severity of the infection, then would be the time to start administering drugs to large portions of the population. But I read somewhere you only need to vaccinate a portion of the population and then the whole population gains a 'group immunity' or something.
  • Options

But hospitals cant cope with the demand from patients with winter flu. So if this really spreads then no way will hospitals be able to cope! The trust I work at is regularly on red alert or on shutdown to patients being admitted as they just have no beds :(
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    But hospitals cant cope with the demand from patients with winter flu. So if this really spreads then no way will hospitals be able to cope! The trust I work at is regularly on red alert or on shutdown to patients being admitted as they just have no beds :(

If it comes to it, then I guess they will just have to use some sort of triage system. Maybe even set up 'tent cities' for those who catch h1n1 to keep them quarantined from the general population. I think it will be a testing time, but I'm glad we're in the UK with the medical professionals and hospitals we have rather than somewhere else where they have much less resources available to people.
  • Options
    it's not like a vaccination where it will stop them getting it altogether

That statement is inaccurate. The opposite is more likely.
    When the vaccine has been developed, depending on the severity of the infection, then would be the time to start administering drugs to large portions of the population. But I read somewhere you only need to vaccinate a portion of the population and then the whole population gains a 'group immunity' or something.

Once again that theory (based on research by AW Hedrich in the 1930s) is inaccurate.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I'm just in complete shock that Stargalaxy or the tabloid press haven't blamed Gordon Brown for the swine flu yet.
    EXCLUSIVE: I was wondering whether the Prime Mentalist had been over in Mexico recently. :p Anyway, Gordon Brown spoke to me personally a few hours ago about the swine flu outbreak. Here's what he (probably) had to say.

"This swine flu outbreak began in America, like all of the problems which I am now dealing with. We are giving everyone real help now to see them through this difficult time. I am getting on with the job, unlike the Tories who would do nothing and let everyone die from this. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to the office to throw mobile phones and laser printers at staff when they tell me that we're 20 points behind in the polls. Thank you."

UPDATE: You'll be delighted to know that the tabloids tomorrow are reporting the revelation that there is a confirmed case of swine flu in the UK with great restraint.

15270390.jpg15270391.jpg15270412.jpg

ANOTHER UPDATE: Because I know you love reading my stuff. The Daily Mash gets closer to the truth than anyone else yet again here.