Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

feeling lonely/panic attack help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

so its my best friends bday party tonight and she has gone to a club in Manchester but i am not there because i hate being around that many people, i get really paranoid and have panic attacks over it. i have resently started having panic attacks and have had about 6 in the last month, i have been to hospital once for it and my music college called an ambulance out for it on monday, i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to try and control them so when you feel like you are about to have one is there a way to try and not have one, or not get so bad.

as i said in a previous post i was going to go to the doctors this week, but i have been to scared to even make an appointment, but my best friend has said she will come with me and make the appointment if need be, so hopefully i will be going soon, although still terrified about it.

i am just feeling a bit lonely and feeling a bit stupid and like a crap friend for not even being able to go my best friends party.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hey, i know how you feel. i get that way around loads of people and usually end up avoiding the situation if i know its going to happen or leaving the place it is happening in. i then feel lonely and disappointed in myself for doing it.
    to help the situation i have been taking kalms tablets, which work better after a few weeks. i have also had some brief CBT sessions, which helps to deal with anxiety related issues, and informs you of why it happens. i would recommend this.
    of course, if neither of these things sound like your cup of tea then hopefully your doctor will help. just remember that it is a positive step to be going in the first place to seek help. if you feel a bit panicky in the waiting room, take some deep breaths, think about something else, write down what you want to say to the doctor.
    hope that helps.
    Hi there,

I have had two panic attacks in my life and I can relate. They are horrible. I've not had one for about two years! The best thing you can do is visit your doctor as you probably realise. It is hard, I know. The doctor will give you all the posible advice and help you require and in the same boat he/she will be very nice with you about it all. I'm from Manchester also and feel slightly lonely now and again, (everybody does [:) So you are not alone in how you feel! But your best friend sounds nice, because she is willing to help you out. Good luck.
    a good tip for when you feel an attack coming on is distraction, get someone nearby to count breathing with you, so you can slow down and hopefully avoid hyperventillation. I always keep a paper bag on me too, so that if i'm finding it hard to calm down, it slows my breathing.
    Distraction is the key i reckon, so you don't focus on yourself/ how you are feeling (cuz i know sometimes with me, that makes it worse.. like 'ohh.. i feel dizzy, or.. why cant i breathe' etc)
    re

Hi imohorn18,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling the way you do at the moment. Like Nutter has said cbt sessions maybe helpful for you in dealing with your anxiety and panic attacks and are available through your GP along with many other talk therapies.
    And just to echo again what everyone has said, you have done the best thing in seeking help, let us know how it goes and keep posting;)
    Sounds like we're going through the same thing. hope your okay