Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can I cancel my new bank card?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I lost my bank card (again:rolleyes: ) today and went to the bank to cancel it and for a new card to be delivered next week.

Just after canceling it, I got a phone call from someone who had picked up my cards (there was also a mobile top-up card which has my phone number on) to tell me they'd found it and would I come to collect it, which I'm going to do tomorrow.

Am I able to cancel this new card?

Comments

• Options
    You should be able to if you ring the bank. Cant see why not.

Oh, but if you ordered a new card, does that mean that they closed the other card so that it now cant be used. If they have done that, i dont know if they'll be able to activate it again
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    In my experience they will never reactivate an old card. Just because they can't guarantee that it is back with the owner and it hasn't been picked up by someone else who has found personal details with it to get round security.
  • Options
    It's not possible for a bank to reactivate a cancelled card (I work for a bank)...you'll just have to wait for the replacement I'm afraid. There's no system in place to do this, even if you go into a branch with ID it still can't be done.
  • Options
    I'd contact whoever found it and tell them to bin it, as it's dead now.

Actually a common thing if people nick cards with people's phone number is to ring the card holder, saying they've found the card, and they then go and use it as the owner doesn't bother to cancel it.