Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ladies - self defence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ladies - if you were interested in taking a self defence class, what sort of techniques would appeal to you? With us guys we tend to let the testosterone take over and want to look as hard and flashy as we can, without realising that technique is more effective than looking good.

So ladies, bearing in mind that knees to the nuts are very risky and not always effective (it's easy to miss especially if your attacker is flabby, also if he's high on drugs he might not feel the pain) what would appeal to you the most?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think pressure points are quite a good thing to teach people. Also techniques on how to get someone off you if you're on the floor and they're attempting to rape you.
    i'd wanna look like buffy kicking ass
    That's good, keep it coming girls :)
    Even tho im a guy i've seen plenty of girls throw a mean punch at a guy and really leave a mark!
    And how to get someone off you if they grab you from behind etc.
    I went to a womans self defence class when I was about 15 after a girl was attacked near our school.

I found it very helpful and still remember the moves to this day lol!

We learned:
    How to get free if attacked from behind
    How to fall safely
    How to disable the attacker from various scenarios - kick back into the knees, stand on toes, elbow in the belly, poke in the eyes, stuff the attacker won't be expecting
    How to remove someone's grip (also breaking their fingers easily :D )

We also learned basic street first aid, and how to stay safe to avoid getting attacked
    As already mentioned, pressure points would be best because if you learn them correctly, you can probably disable someone at least temporarily, giving you enough time to run as fast as possible!
    I trained Wing Chun for 5 years and felt that it was a perfect system for women's self defence as it wasn't about being physically strong! It was designed by a woman and therefore I always found my ability to be very different to a mans (not necessarily better but I was always able to train intuitively wheras the guys had to learn that a bit more).

The other bonus about Wing Chun is that it is street fighting, it isn't about scoring points or winning a competition, you train in normal clothes and trainers and this made it that much more realistic to transferring what you learn to the outside world.
    In our school when you go into 5th and 6th year you hve to take Personal Development and one of the options is self defence for girls. It is so funny!! Imagine a bunch of girls in a class room lying on top of each other(this is one of the things we had to do btw) it is so awkward but so hilarious:) lol
    emma93 wrote: »
    In our school when you go into 5th and 6th year you hve to take Personal Development and one of the options is self defence for girls. It is so funny!! Imagine a bunch of girls in a class room lying on top of each other(this is one of the things we had to do btw) it is so awkward but so hilarious:) lol

It wouldn't be hilarious if you were getting raped though. Hopefully it wasn't all giggles and you actually took in what they were telling you.
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I trained Wing Chun for 5 years and felt that it was a perfect system for women's self defence as it wasn't about being physically strong! It was designed by a woman and therefore I always found my ability to be very different to a mans (not necessarily better but I was always able to train intuitively wheras the guys had to learn that a bit more).

The other bonus about Wing Chun is that it is street fighting, it isn't about scoring points or winning a competition, you train in normal clothes and trainers and this made it that much more realistic to transferring what you learn to the outside world.

OK the whole plan is I'm putting together some self defence DVDs, one for men and another for women. What works for guys is unlikely to work for you lot (from experience you lot would not usually feel comfortable in punching a man full-out in the face) so I need to establish a baseline of what ladies would prefer to do.

My background is Kung Fu (for the uninitiated Wing Chun is a style of KF) so the emphasis will be on speed rather than strength.
    I good technique is the get ahold of two of the attackers fingers (ajacent to each other) and pull them apart. The pain makes them let go.

My mum was always scared of perverts getting me and my siblings, when we grew up.
    I'd go to Texas and get a free gun with my car purchase.

Honestly, I don't think I'd take a self defence class. Pepper spray, maybe... but if I were in the situation of needing the self defense, I doubt pulling out the judo chop would be at the forefront of thought. Probably just screaming and slapping.
    I good technique is the get ahold of two of the attackers fingers (ajacent to each other) and pull them apart. The pain makes them let go.

My mum was always scared of perverts getting me and my siblings, when we grew up.

That's what we learned in our class, the pain will make them release their grip and most likely break a few fingers

Another, if the attacker has grabbed you, is to get hold of his thumb and to push it back in towards his hand, like make the thumb at a left right angle shape if there is such a thing!
    OK all this is good but I'm not really after specific techniques, we have loads of them.

What I'm trying to establish is things like whether the ladies would prefer to utilise pressure points, locks (arm locks, wrist locks etc), attacks to the eyes/throat, trips etc that sort of thing :)

Although saying that, going on some of the responses in this thread it sound like some of you can already handle yourselves ;)
    I would want to learn something that will immobilise them long enough so i would be able to get out of there and call for help
    I think you need to tailor your technique around the fact that 9/10 times a woman's attacker is going to be bigger and stronger. So quick, fast easy techniques which will allow you to do the technique and run. I'm from a taekwondo background but we also do a lot of other styles as master has trained in quite a few so we learn all aspects of self defence too. He's always teaching me little different bits to the guys as i need to apdapt my style as i'm quite petite and light esp. compared to the lads i train with.
    So i'd say go for the fighting dirty option e.g the eye pokes, finger bend backs, groin attack etc. Also pressure points, easy locks. We also do regular knife technique scenarios, what to do if grabbed in a headlock, round the throat etc. I used to box so i'm at ease with punching but understand a lot of people probably aren't so maybe just a few how to punch, simple jab to the lip options or something?
    You could go on for hours to be fair :D
    Carolina wrote: »
    You could go on for hours to be fair :D

Oh I do - but that's not important right now ;)

That's a good point actually - ladies, do you think you could do something like an eye-gouge or a simple poke?

That's a good point actually - ladies, do you think you could do something like an eye-gouge or a simple poke?

Of course. An eye-gouge is really effective. I don't think someone would turn it down and instead rather be raped.

Maybe a decent strangle in the right place would be good too as that can have them unconscious within seconds. Whether you're allowed to teach people that or not I don't know as there is a thin line between unconsciousness and death and it's not really something you can practice on one another!

*looks for the roll eyes smiley thing, men, so predictable* :yeees: :D

I think you will find that most women will be quite happy to poke in the eyes, twist fingers, kick in the rollocks etc. Quick and easy, instinctive reactions.
    From previous sparring at training i find i struggle more when trying to do intricate locks, moves etc. but when i've been put on the spot in the pub/real life before my natural reaction is foot stomp, kick in the rollocks, eye poke, or quick jab to open areas.
    It annoyed me immensely when i first started training and realised that whilst quick in the boxing ring i was slow and useless when facing a 6ft2 bloke at taekwondo. So i've had to completely rejig the way my brain works into remembering simple and quick techniques.
    I hate having to admit i'm not as strong or as good as a bloke. I think i have little person complex :yes:
    Carolina wrote: »
    I hate having to admit i'm not as strong or as good as a bloke. I think i have little person complex :yes:

Use that to your advantage.

If you play on that and pretend you are weak, that person will let their guard down and not expect a very viscous attack. Use that to your advantage and give them your best shot when they least expect it and it should surprise them and give you a good chance to get away.
    squeal wrote: »
    Use that to your advantage.

If you play on that and pretend you are weak, that person will let their guard down and not expect a very viscous attack. Use that to your advantage and give them your best shot when they least expect it and it should surprise them and give you a good chance to get away.

I do :) To be fair that's one of the first things master taught me as he knew i was struggling to readjust my way of thinking. Luckily he's a great teacher and i'm quite good at playing the helpless female much as it grinds (:yuck:).
    :)