Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Pill or the Implant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think is better? I've been on the pill for 3 months but thinking of changing over....the thing that worries me is the implant you can stop having you periods and i know i will be a parnoid wreck! haha
I've also heard that he pill is about 95% effective, but when i've gone on websites to do research it said it was 98% effective...does anybody no the real effeciveness?
My boyfriend has trouble using condoms so we cant double protect our self :/ one of the main reasons why going on the pill!

Which one do you think is better? Any bad experiences with the Implant?

Comments

• Options
    I am thinking of getting the implant as I am really, really bad at taking the pill.

I know a few people who have had no problems with it what-so-ever. Took a while for their periods to settle but after that fine :)

Another girl though had terrible headaches and mood swings on it. But I guess it's one of those things, just like certain pills don't suit everyone.

I am going to give it a go for a few months, if I don't like it then I'll have it removed. I like the idea tho it lasts for 3 years without having to worry.
    If you have it done on or before the 5th day of your period you are covered if not then you have to use protection for the following days
  • Options
    I've had the implant in for about a month now and it's been fine so far. I was on the mini-pill beforehand which was ok, but I kept taking it at the wrong times. Before that I was on the injection which did not agree with me lol. Different people react differently I guess :)
  • Options
    I've had the implant in for about a month now and it's been fine so far. I was on the mini-pill beforehand which was ok, but I kept taking it at the wrong times. Before that I was on the injection which did not agree with me lol. Different people react differently I guess :)

Did it hurt when it was put it? How exactly do they do it?

I am going to go to the Dr's on tuesday and discuss it but I'm guessing they won't be able to put it in there and then :chin:
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »

I am going to go to the Dr's on tuesday and discuss it but I'm guessing they won't be able to put it in there and then :chin:

If you go down to family planning they will :thumb: i not so sre about the doctors, i reckon i will go on the implant, but my friends on it, and she hand a continuous period for about 2 months :|

I had the same trouble with the pill, i kept taking it at the wrong times, you are still protected if you take it 24 hours after the time you as suppose to, but its to much hassle, especially if im at my boyfriends, i have to secretly take it, and its embarassing when my alarm goes off on my phone if i forget to turn it off :/

Does anybody know if its more effective than the pill?
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »

They gave me a local anaesthetic in my arm and she wouldn't let me watch but she kind of injected it into my arm from what I saw of the instruments. I only had a little hole where she'd put it in. She then bandaged it up and I had to keep it on for two days.

With regards to pain, it did hurt for me but local anaesthetics (or at least the ones at my uni's medical centre) take a while to work on me but it only hurt for a few seconds so it wasn't too bad. When I took the bandage off I had a large bruise which was obviously sore for a few days.

I went to my Dr to talk to her and she asked me a few questions and then she prescribed me the implant (I had to get it from the chemist, not sure if they all do that!) and then made me another appointment.

Hope this helps and I haven't put you off :)
  • Options
    They gave me a local anaesthetic in my arm and she wouldn't let me watch but she kind of injected it into my arm from what I saw of the instruments. I only had a little hole where she'd put it in. She then bandaged it up and I had to keep it on for two days.

With regards to pain, it did hurt for me but local anaesthetics (or at least the ones at my uni's medical centre) take a while to work on me but it only hurt for a few seconds so it wasn't too bad. When I took the bandage off I had a large bruise which was obviously sore for a few days.

I went to my Dr to talk to her and she asked me a few questions and then she prescribed me the implant (I had to get it from the chemist, not sure if they all do that!) and then made me another appointment.

Hope this helps and I haven't put you off :)

Its been really helpful :thumb: ! thank you! :D
    do you know if its moe effective than the pill?
  • Options
    Thanks Marina Aniseed :)

I am definatly going to go and speak to my Dr about it it will work so much better for me :yes:

Loved up blonde- I would go to family planning BUT I did a placement there during my nursing course and fell a bit shy/embaressed about going :blush: ...stiupid I know!

I think the implant has pretty much the same effectiveness as the pill, though is more reliable due to the fact you don't have to keep remembering to take it everyday and at the same time. Obviously you still have that minute percentage on unreliability like you do with most contraceptives
  • Options
    Its not stupid at all! I think I would be the same if I did a placement at family planning :p

But im going to deffo give the implant a try! thanks for all the help! :)
  • Options
    The implant is about 98/99% effective as long as its inserted properly. Plus it doesn't have the problems of missing pills and having to be extra careful if you get an upset stomach or have to use antibiotics. It was okay having it fitted, but my arm did swell up for about a week afterwards.

Most places will advise you have to have it fitted in the first five days of your cycle as they have to make sure your not pregnant (and its not unheard of for you to be asked to take a test) before they can insert it.
  • Options
    Hi ive had everything had implant in after i had 2nd miscarrige it was great my arm sore day or two didnt bruise alot too.it didnt stop my periods though.
    Had it in 6month wanted try again had it taken out 3rd nov and got preganant straightaway by dec i was 4wk didnt think be that quick.
    Had it put back in when my daughter was 4week old+it sent me loopy had it taken out 6 month later and got sterilized.
    Last 4 years implanon i had when they take i out local anestitic again tiny cut +they push it out mine was stuck embedded in under my skin i had huge bruise for 2weeks apart from that its great.
    I had it done at drs too not fam plan clinic.
    Also i had to pick it up from chemist too long box when you have it first put in u can have abnormal bleeding it normal my period was normal every month.
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone! also whats swaying me to the implant is that i've heard that if you fall pregnant while on the pill you can still have the withdrawal period? Can anyone put a shed of light on this for me :P
  • Options
    i've been on the pill for almost a year

worked a treat in terms of birth control, but my hormone levels got so low that on my blood test, my reproductive hormones were in the post-menopausal levels (i'm 19!!!!!) which resulted in some bad side effects such as decreased libido, fatigue, irritability.

tried the nuvaring for a month but it interfered with sex... so, so annoying. so now i'm back on the pill, embraced the fact that there will be side effects, and take it from my meds dispenser every morning.

someone was asking about the actual effectiveness of the pill.. it depends on a number of factors. but basically, if you take it every day at the same time, the effectiveness is close to 100%, although of course it can never be 100% because, as we learnt in high school, only abstinence is 100% effective at birth control! :p

but yeah, anyway, i've read up about the implant, not too keen on it, just going to continue with the pill (microlevlen ED)
  • Options
    I went to the family planning clinic today and asked about the pill, and about how you can still have a bleed but still be pregnant....the were extemely rude to me, and practically implided that if i followed the instuctions i couldnt get pregnant :chin: but i know you can still get pregnant even if i did take the pill correctly....i've only ever missed the pill by about 3 hours at the most, but i know you can take it up to 24 hours after your original time and still be safe.....but i think after weighing up the pros and cons of the implant and the pill, i think i will stick with the pill (Y) me and my boyfriend are going to try larger comdons to see if he can wear those without trouble, i hope all goes well :thumb: