Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Financial Assistance fro Retired Disabled Chap

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I’ve recently started volunteering for a local charity called the Neighbourhood Care Scheme. I’ve been paired up with a older chap who’s taken disability retirement and is living on his own in a place that he owns. The flat is in a really bad way and, as I’m sure he doesn’t have much money, I was wondering does anyone know if he’d be eligible for any financial assistance in order to facilitate the fixing up of his flat? Or perhaps where I could start looking for assistance? It’s all new to me and I’m not really sure where to start with this kind of thing.

Comments

• Options
    If the man has ever been in the armed forces (including national service) then you could contact SSAFA. If he's been a 'pillar of the community' you could also try Independent Age.

If the guy has care needs that aren't being met (e.g. adaptations to allow independent bathing, help with meals, help with cleaning) then social services should be involved, ring your local social services department and ask for an assessment to be carried out. Social services have an overarching duty to make sure that vulnerable adults are cared for and living in a secure environment, although social workers tend to get pissy if you point this out too many times.

If you don't get anywhere with social services have a look to see if there's a community care legal adviser in your area; AFAIK Shelter have a few advisers in East Sussex.

In terms of income, what's he living on? If he's disabled I'd expect him to be getting DLA (called attendance allowance if he's over 65). What else he'd be entitled to depends on his income, might be worth giving Community Legal Advice a call on 0845 345 4345 to have a benefit check carried out for him.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If the man has ever been in the armed forces (including national service) then you could contact SSAFA. If he's been a 'pillar of the community' you could also try Independent Age.

If the guy has care needs that aren't being met (e.g. adaptations to allow independent bathing, help with meals, help with cleaning) then social services should be involved, ring your local social services department and ask for an assessment to be carried out. Social services have an overarching duty to make sure that vulnerable adults are cared for and living in a secure environment, although social workers tend to get pissy if you point this out too many times.

If you don't get anywhere with social services have a look to see if there's a community care legal adviser in your area; AFAIK Shelter have a few advisers in East Sussex.

In terms of income, what's he living on? If he's disabled I'd expect him to be getting DLA (called attendance allowance if he's over 65). What else he'd be entitled to depends on his income, might be worth giving Community Legal Advice a call on 0845 345 4345 to have a benefit check carried out for him.

Nice one for that, dude. I'm fairly sure the chap was never in the armed forces, but the rest of the stuff looks really useful. I'l let you know how I get on with it. Thanks again!
  • Options
    If you feel comfortable sending a few more details by PM, I'll see what else I can think of off the top of my head.