Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

International Texting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm taking a gap year in Australia and want to be able to text all of my friends and family in the UK. Any contracts or other services that will be cheaper than the expensive international SMS?

Thanks for your help :hyper:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i would think it would be cheapest to get an aussie sim card as it won't charge you internatiional rates in its home country i wouldn't think. It didn't cost me any extra to send texts to a sim card abroad a few months ago, and when i went to South Africa i got a PAYG sim card out there and it was cheaper to use that for three weeks to text back to the uk than to use my UK contract.
  • Options
    I wish i was going to Australia! You can download applications to your phone that send messages over your phones GPRS rather than SMS. This cuts the cost greatly and allows you to keep your number at the same time.

There are different applications that you can get (smsbug, mobiwireless, messmo) but i personally use FishText.com because it's the cheapest and has been the most reliable for me.

Happy traveling!