Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Vegetarianism Side Affects?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok.

I have recently moved from being a full time meat eater to be a full time lacto-ova vegetarian (i.e I eat everything except meat) and I have been warned by fellow vegetarians, a few being ex vegetarians that there are several side affects.

Skin Breaking Out
Unclean hair (needs washed everyday)
Dry skin on lips
Dramatic weight loss
Loss of concentration

It's sad that I am suffering a slight case of all the above listed, but I then believe it could simply be paranoia.

I have taken the liberty of listening my diet below:

A salad everyday- depending on my surroundings they can consist of lettuce, cucumber, red onion, cheese, peppers, leeks.
Shreaded Wheat for breakest.
A fruit of any form if available (rare)
Pasta

I also admit to having the odd chocolate bar throughout the diet but of course it has been checked off as vegetarian so I havn't commited a crime.

Getting onto the a c t u a l point of this post, have any of you fellow vegetarians suffered the same as me and could you share your diet with me. Could you also (perhaps) offer me some tips on vegetarianism.

Please no replies stating how vegetariansim is stupid, a sin and basically trying to convince me against it because I have noticed how most of the people who are trying to change me back are also failed vegetarians who have lacked in will power and havn't the same principals as myself (I don't believe it to be fair that animals are mistreated in many many cases and I also believe that the way they are killed in several areas is most savage- I just generally do not want to be part of that process)

Thank you...

P.S I do exercise allot, not in gym sort of exercise- more so 'run about like an idiot, play in kids parks' kinda exercise.

Toodles.:) :banghead: :blush::love: :hyper: :thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

I have been veggie for 15 years and have never suffered from any of those particularly (especially not dramatic weight loss - I wish!). The only think I would say looking at your diet is make sure that you are getting enough protein, as you might not if you're just eating mainly veggies.
    I've been veggie for 3 years and I've not had any problems. As for my diet, that depends on whether I'm at home or at uni (my parents feed me more than I can afford to at uni lol.) At uni I normally have some kind of grainy bar thing for breakfast, Ryvita with something on top (often cheese) for lunch and then dinner tends to be whatever I can be bothered to make which I think the last time I ate at uni was veggie burger, chips and baked beans. Not amazing but hey ho, I'm a student, I'm not meant to be able to cook :thumb:
    wicked :)

I guess I could blame whats happening on paranoia then, perhaps I'm only imagining it... hmm.

I'mma going to try your diet anyhoo to see if theres any change :)
    The important thing is that you need to make sure you're eating a balanced diet. If you're not eating meat or fish you need to get the nutrients elsewhere, which means you need to be eating nuts and pulses. Eating vegetables isn't enough.

I'm a meat eater but I don't tend to eat that much meat (too expensive!), you shouldn't really be having any problems if you're eating balanced food.
    I've been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian for a year and also haven't suffered problems. What you're eating does sound pretty healthy in that its low fat but like others said variety is good and it'd be good to include some more protein? Things like baked beans/red kidney beans are pretty cheap, chickpeas (houmous is good for sandwiches with salad) , low fat cheese/yoghurt, also you can buy lots of different things to put in sauces instead of meat such as marinated tofu pieces, quorn pieces (they look a bit like chicken pieces), quorn /soya mince (fresh or dried) and make pretty convincing chili con carne/spaghetti bolognase alternatives :) Good luck!
    thanks

Thanks for your replies, guys..... I'm taking everything into account and I'm even going to try a few alternatives (heaven help me) for meat.... I may even consider fish.... although it does go against everything I am trying to stand for.

Yet again,
    thanks xxx
    You need some protien in your diet, and probably some more carbs as well. As Kermit said, you need protiens from other sources to give you the nutirents you need to be healthy. You need some fat in your diet, some vitamins are fat-soluable and your body needs fat to absorb and store them properly, not all fats are bad!
    Nice article here on getting protein into a veggie/vegan diet.
    You're really lucky in that there are so many foods now which cater for vegetarians... Like everyone else has said, the main thing is getting protein in your diet... beans are great for this! Certainly, no vegetarian has to suffer from the sorts of things you listed in, as there are so many good substitutes for meat. I would consider going back to a vegetarian diet if the other half wasn't such a big meat eater. Plus he does the cooking :p
    hi
    i changed to being a vegetarian a few months ago and i havn't had any of the problems that you are having. like others have said you need protein, i eat cashew nuts and quorn is really good for that, if you are having pasta then try adding some vegetables and some quorn pieces, try eating more nuts, plus cheese has protien in. hope some of this helps.