Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hyperekplexia ( Abnormal Startle Response) - Anyone else being diagnosed with it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

A few months back i was diagnosed with Hyperekplexia: Abnormal Startle Response, and was put on medication for it.

I just wondering if anyone else has it or knows anyone with it?

I feel like i'm the only one... :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never heard of it! I do startle easily though ... what sort of thing does it present as?
    I can't say that I have ever heard of it shygirl - can you tell us more about the condition?
    Never heard of it. Yeah knowing some of the symptoms may help...?
    Well - I jump very very easily, like if someone coughes, sneezes, a door slams suddenly i nearly hit the roof! Which is very embarassing and it has dominated my life for nearly 21years. It didn't help when my friends/family played on my problem, which made me not want to go to family gatherings, go the pub with my friends ect....

I am very embarassed about this problem, so when i went to the hospital for help with my depression, the doctor did a little test. He moved suddenly, and once again i nearly hit the roof. Thats when he diagnosed me Hyperekplexia and has put me on 2mg a day on Clonazapam.

I just wondered if anyone else has this problem - as I said, I feel very alone :(
    I can't help, but I have an excessive gag reflex, means I choke stupidly easily. So you're not the only one with an exaggerated response to things.

You don't need to feel alone. Remember you haven't changed as a person since the diagnosis, like you said, yuo've been like thsi 21 years. Only thing is the problems you have should now decrease if the medication does its job. The diagnosis and treatment is a really good thing.
    I have the same kind of reactions to things - I jump when the phone rings, for god's sake!

Mine is down to a good, old-fashioned nervous disposition! I think you can go too far with diagnosis, tbh, and don't find that it helps.
    Hi, you are not the only one. My daughter has hyperekplexia, she was diagnosed at 3 weeks old. The condition is life threatening in infancy and she was very ill at birth after suffering many seizures. She is now 4 years old. She is on clonazapam too but still startles with certain noises, dogs barking and car engines are probably the worst offenders. She's a very sensitive and quiet girl. She doesn't like busy places or crowd's of people.