Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

can they charge me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi ya

im not good at writing on forums but here goes

i was drilling though a wall and hit a power supply we are given meters to test for electric which i used but i didnt pick anything up , the company i work for call out a sparky who repaired the cable now they are telling me i have to pay this

when the sprarky came out i told him what had happend and showed him the meter he said they are c**p and wouldnt pick a thing up he showed me where the safe zones were and i was in it my manager came out and i showed him the meter not working but now my manager will not stick by his word in front of his manager

they wont me to sign a form so they can take it out my wages i have refused as the company have liability insurance they just dont wont to claim off it , its a very large company but im not sure where i stand

danny

Comments

• Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Danny,

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had at work.

You are right not to sign the form without confirming your position first. The company can only take money from your wages if you broke company procedures. If, as you say, the machine they supplied was faulty, and it was not your responsibility to test the machine, then the liability rests with the company for providing inadequate equipment.

Your best bet is to get expert advice. You may want to try somewhere like your Citizens Advice Bureau. They can help you build your case so that you can make sure the company treats you fairly.

I hope this helps,

Olly
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thanks for the reply

ive put it in writing to them ,that i beleive that its not my fault and said i refuse to give them permission to take the money and if they do then i will treat this as theft ,they are known to just take it and then you have to fight for months to get it back if at all
    my manager told me today that its been given to the area manager so i will keep you posted
    Firstly they should be using their insurance to pay for it, and secondly they should be considering themselves lucky that you didn't drill through a live cable and electrocute yourself due to the shoddy equipment.
    it was a live cable when with a hell of a bang ,i chopped the plaster away got all the wires ready for the sparky all he did was come in crimp the wires together and go i replastered the wall and made good and they want to charge me £83 ,this company try and charge you for everything they call it back charge
    First this is not your fault, it is the companies for supply you faulty equipment. This whole thing wouldn't have happened if the machine was working correctly, would it. The company are just trying to shift the blame to you for thier own neglect. Stand your ground on this you are right
    hi just a quick update

no money was taken out my wages
    and nothing else was said about the matter :)
    :yippe: :thumb: