Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Message from the EU: We'll be following you online from tomorrow.

And before I get accused of scaremongering, this does come from the European Union. Naturally, our craven government has done exactly what it's told, being a bunch of control freaks themselves. In March 2006, they [the EU] formally adopted Directive 2006/24/EC, on "the retention of data generated or processed in connection with the provision of publicly available electronic communications services or of public communications networks and amending Directive 2002/58/EC".

The Indy explains it a bit better: "The mobile calls, emails and website visits of every person in Britain will be stored for a year under sweeping new powers which come into force on Monday. Privacy campaigners warned last night that the information would be used by the Government to create a giant 'Big Brother' super-database containing a map of everyone's private life."

Just why are these bastards so obsessed with knowing everything about us? First, we discover that New Labour want to follow us on social networking sites. (the New Labour wall views you on FB, not the other way round) Now we get this crap. Yet again, we see our governments trying to intimidate us into giving away yet more of our rights on the laughable premise that a man in an Afghanistan cave is plotting to blow us up. If you wrote that plot into a children's book, the kids would think you were taking the piss out of them. But we meekly accept it. And I'm left wondering how the hell we can stop this madness...

Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it means cracking down on crime (paedophile rings, drug traficking and murder plots) then fine. Our profiles should be only accessible by the police, MI6 and CBI etc. If it goes beyond that then I'd be pretty teased off.
    Whilst the retention of the data is not great, it's worth noting that there is no "big database" of which is spoken, and the technical challenge of creating such a thing (which would have to include every ISP) would be pretty massive and costly, so we won't be seeing that for a good few years, if ever.

Also the ISPs are asked only to record emails having been transferred, rather than the content of those emails.

I doubt that this is a big deal, I expect various router logs already keep this info anyway, for troubleshooting purposes.
    Who cares about this really? If you're not doing anything wrong then waht is there to worry about the governement watching you, they're hardly going to take your credit card details and commit fraud.

The plus side is all these internet stalkers/peadophiles and whatever other type of sick people there are will have a better chance of being caught.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    If it means cracking down on crime (paedophile rings, drug traficking and murder plots) then fine. Our profiles should be only accessible by the police, MI6 and CBI etc. If it goes beyond that then I'd be pretty teased off.
    Prepare to be mightily pissed off. According to the Telegraph: "Hundreds of public bodies and quangos, including local councils, will also be able to access the data to investigate flytipping and other less serious crimes." "Less serious crimes" being a euphenism for things like not closing the lid of your bin properly.
    The plus side is all these internet stalkers/peadophiles and whatever other type of sick people there are will have a better chance of being caught.
    Oh, you wish. This won't stop a single bomb from going off on our streets, nor will it stop a single paedophile from looking at vile images of children being abused. It will just be used by the state to persecute against us more and more. Your trust in government is completely misplaced - the government hates you.
    Who cares about this really? If you're not doing anything wrong then waht is there to worry about the governement watching you, t.

:banghead:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Who cares about this really? If you're not doing anything wrong then waht is there to worry about the governement watching you
    The idea is that "wrong" doesn't always equal "illegal", so you're wrong. And even if you weren't, "illegal" might change at any time and then it wouldn't equal "wrong".
    This is nothing new. The only difference now is that rather than just full-scale monitoring, we'll now have full-scale retention.
    Wait, perhaps it's due to lack of sleep but does this only apply to places like Librarys? "publicly available".
    No. The internet, mobile telephone networks and home telephone networks are publicly available.