Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Trusting people over the internet?

Okay as we all know the internet is a huge place for predators to gain personal, scam and stalk people.

I was wondering about selling things in the internet which are not allowed on ebay etc..(such as online game accounts which a worth a bit)

what precautions should a person take before going forward with a deal and how will i know if they are a scamer/hacker?

cheers :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Okay as we all know the internet is a huge place for predators to gain personal, scam and stalk people.

I was wondering about selling things in the internet which are not allowed on ebay etc..(such as online game accounts which a worth a bit)

what precautions should a person take before going forward with a deal and how will i know if they are a scamer/hacker?

cheers :)

To be honest, you basically don't.

I bought a laptop on eBay (retarded idea, I knoooow) from a seller that had been around for about 5 years, had about 1000+ 100% feedback. I thought it couldn't go wrong. But nooo... After I forked out £250 for a laptop they decided to steal my money (and a whole bunch of other people's too) and run off with it. The wankers.

So you can't.

I just say that it's best not to spend any considerable sum of money on something you can buy in a shop :)
  • Options
    If you are talking about a wow account its kinda easy, just make sure you know your secret question, dont give the pass until the money has been sent and make them take the first step to giving you the account.

Then 1 month later use your secret question and keep the account and the money! I know one bastard on azjol who sold his account like this 3 times ^^
  • Options
    Wait...why would you sell a WoW account?? So that people can get a lvl 70 hunter straight away?

What the heck is the point in that?
  • Options
    Usee escrow payment system that way they cant scam you once the deal has been done. Escrow are good at protecting sales like that.
  • Options
    No no no (this is embarresing) but my Runescape account, theres plenty a sites for it but i have to wait 14 days for my recovery questions to reset and i cba waiting that long i want the cash asap, all the people who ive spoke to they want to go on the account to see the stats when you can look at them without..

So yeah

I guess my only option is to wait till they decide to fork over some cash first then i give details..

and for the record i dont like hunters at all :]
  • Options
    I bought a laptop on eBay (retarded idea, I knoooow) from a seller that had been around for about 5 years, had about 1000+ 100% feedback. I thought it couldn't go wrong. But nooo... After I forked out £250 for a laptop they decided to steal my money (and a whole bunch of other people's too) and run off with it. The wankers.

To me, that sounds like the seller's account have been compromised.
  • Options
    To be honest, you basically don't.

So you can't.

I just say that it's best not to spend any considerable sum of money on something you can buy in a shop :)

I think if you're buying something like a laptop or anything pricey off ebay you have to go and see it for yourself. I bought my cd decks off ebay, which has been the most expensive thing i've ever bought. I went and met the guy and tried them out and everything to make sure they were working.

Luckily for me it turned out great and they have been my best buy over the years. I think you'd be daft to spend that amount of money on ebay and not go check it out for yourself.
  • Options
    Getting robbed by Ebay if paying by PayPal isnt an easy thing to do..

Although there was lots of items I ordered from China and sole on Ebay, but people tried to con me.. so maybe there is some kind of loophole with paypal, luckily none of them got it right, maybe PayPal were onto the them.. Theres some very unscrupulous buyers on Ebay who only buy to see what they can fish back.