Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Revising + other stuff, GRR.

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
My WoW time has ran out and im off for 2 weeks and after that my GCSE exams start (good timing i guess?)

well anyway im taking this oppotunity to revise as much as poss so i can get good grades

In lessons im doing okay except ICT (im way behind) (science - dont barely any coursework and DT, same)

I want to be a psychologist but i have no idea if i need them 3 subjects, i know ill need science but what part, etc..

Also does anybody know a good way of revising, and how long, what conditions as ive never revised in my life and need to start!

Cheers
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think chemistry would be a good one to start if you want to be a psychologist.

A good way of revising is to set out a plan of when you will revise what, break up the curriculum and such, and go out and do that. Then (and this has proven to be effective :p) the day before each exam just cram. Sit down with the GCSE revision guide (they are really good) and go from cover to cover.

But start off just doing basic revision, say in science you have a module with 10 key things, maybe do 2 things each day for 5 days, spend maybe an hour or two looking over them, writing them down, doing problems.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    i think chemistry would be a good one to start if you want to be a psychologist.

A good way of revising is to set out a plan of when you will revise what, break up the curriculum and such, and go out and do that. Then (and this has proven to be effective :p) the day before each exam just cram. Sit down with the GCSE revision guide (they are really good) and go from cover to cover.

But start off just doing basic revision, say in science you have a module with 10 key things, maybe do 2 things each day for 5 days, spend maybe an hour or two looking over them, writing them down, doing problems.

I was thinking that chemistry i'd need, but seems good to break the whole subject down into topics.

How long do you revise a topic though? and do you need breaks in betweeen?
    I got told 40 minutes and then take a break.

As for each topic - depends how good you are and how much you really know.
    I think its up to people individually, I just work pretty solidly for a few hours then do something else for a few hours.

edit: although what melian says about 40 minutes may be true, apparently doing one thing for over 40 minutes turns your brain into 'cruise control' mode and you stop paying proper attention.
    I wanted to be a psycologist too, pity I didn't get as far as actually studying psycology but there's always life coaching in the future.

Might I add if you're slacking in your studies now, you need a major rethink and change in your attitude before studying waht you wish to be as there is a lot of stuff for you to learn on the way to becoming a psycologist.. I mean lots.
    Also try this for helping you get your revision and work done.

http://www.marketingsecrets.com/images/rebootmethod/rebootmethod.html
    I dont slack on purpose..the lessons are really boring (yeh yeh everyone finds lessons boring) but these ones in particular is the same old crap over n over

take ICT for example, its all about showing evidence for EVERYTHING, which is basic stuff which everybody knows but its really boring, makes me depressed and it never gets done!!
    Watch that video above, it's quite inspiring, if you listen carefully.. and that is the wrong attitude to have in life that because something is boring it is not worth doing..

You'll find as you get older life becomes more and more broing, what will you do then, give up on life?

I wouldn't think so, so it's time to understand this "boring" word doesnt mean its not worth it.
    Watch that video above, it's quite inspiring, if you listen carefully.. and that is the wrong attitude to have in life that because something is boring it is not worth doing..

You'll find as you get older life becomes more and more broing, what will you do then, give up on life?

I wouldn't think so, so it's time to understand this "boring" word doesnt mean its not worth it.

To be honest, if something is boring to me, I don't do it. Because boring things don't make me happy.

Okay, yes, everyone has to go to the bank and go food shopping etc but I quit maths at the age of 15 because it was sooo boring to me.

Anyway! You've got to get through your exams - so yes, in this case you do have to push on to get your grades! The advice given by most folks so far is good. Study for an hour, have a tea break, study for an hour, have a tea break.

But as for myself I can study for hours and hours and forget to eat when I'm in the mood for it.

Leave some subjects for a day or so and then come back to it - that way you keep refreshing your mind :)
    I'd say don't 'push' yourself too much.

Like the saying goes, make revision into bite size chunks. I revise for 30 mins or so at a time - sometimes up to an hour, but then reward myself with a hefty break, so i do 30 mins and get a 10 min break, a do an hour and i get 20 mins of or something.

That way, boring topics don't seem as boring, it's easier to remember things and you'll not try to avoid it as much.

Personally, i'll read the section of literature / research (this was for school, 6th form and uni), i'll write some notes - like key points, then i'll have a break - make a brew or something. Then i'll come back to it and do the same again with another topic.

I do this until i've got my key points / topics etc covered. Then i go through each regularly - e.g. a few times a day, running up to the exam, re-reading my notes and getting myself to explain each key point.

This doesn't work the same for everyone, but it works for me, as I can remember quite a lot of stuff from one key point.

Good luck:thumb:
    Cheers for the comments, over these next 2 weeks ima try revise as much as i can with breaks etc but i still want time to do my own things!

Also Lucid, the link is really laggy for me.