Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Nursery Nurses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are any of you members of unions? my google and nursery world searches are proving very disapointing/expensive.

Basically, two of my colleagues joined the company at level 2 a couple of years ago and worked towards their level 3 qualification and recieved it. They were told they could not recieve level 3 wages until there were level 3 vacancies in the nursery so they have spent a year on level 2 wages (minimum wage i think). A new girl has been employed this week as relief staff on level 3 wages - is this allowed to happen?

Advice or a good (not too expensive) union reccomendation gratefully received

xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your colleagues were employed as level II workers, just because they are now qualified for level III doesn't mean they should get paid for it while still working at level II. They are free to apply for jobs at level III at you current employer as they come available, or to apply elsewhere.

Yhe level III worker was brought in as releif - that is short term contract. Would either of your colleagues want to end their permanent employment in order to take a temporary job?

My advice to your colleagues to to look for employment elsewhere.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Your colleagues were employed as level II workers, just because they are now qualified for level III doesn't mean they should get paid for it while still working at level II. They are free to apply for jobs at level III at you current employer as they come available, or to apply elsewhere.

Yhe level III worker was brought in as releif - that is short term contract. Would either of your colleagues want to end their permanent employment in order to take a temporary job?

My advice to your colleagues to to look for employment elsewhere.

Unfortunately, Big Gay is correct. Just because they are Level 3 qualified, they are still in a Level 2 job so are paid accordingly. I think unions would agree.

A couple of nursery nurse friends are with the Unison union. But don't know if they cover privaate nurseries.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ok thanku guys:)