Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

bad nightmares/screaming

i suppose im looking for someone to make me feel better here.

im feeling super embarassed at the moment.

i had a really bad nightmare last night. i cannot remember what it was about but i woke up screaming so i must have had one. i woke up the whole house. my boyfriend's flatmate came running out of his room at 3am to see what was going on and obviously, i woke up my boyfriend who was lying next to me.

im not six so why the hell am i screaming in my sleep? its just embarassing. i dont even remember having a nightmare and well, it hasn't happened in years.

i just woke up really shaken up.

has this happened to anyone else? im 23. is it normal for things like this to still happen? it just makes me feel really immature. it hasn't happened in years and well, i was asleep. i was completely unaware i was screaming until my boyfriend shook me so much that i was awake!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So long as it's not happening every single night I wouldn't bother about it.
    I have nightmares all the time!

I also talk in my sleep and it freaks my girlfriend out, just remember its only a dream :)
    Hey blah blah blah :wave:

I know you are familiar with The Site - but have you ever read the page on dreams and nightmares? It may be able to give you some insight into why we dream etc.

As Mist and SnuggleBubbles have said, if it's not a recurring problem and you cannot remember the content, then there's really not much to worry about. Feeling embarrassed is natural, but so is dreaming.

Keep posting, :)
    yeeeah. But I had it so much worse :p I woke up shouting MUM whilst I was sleeping next to an ex. Not good. I wouldnt worry, it's just one of those embarassing things you eventually find funny later on :)
    mmm, my boyfriend thinks i had a night terror.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror

i dunno! dont care, it didn't happen again last night so its all good!
    I've had them before I also cry...really proper hysterical crying in my sleep. I never remember when I wake up.

They only happen every now and then. Generally if I am really tired/sressed.
    Just be glad you didn't punch him in the face and draw blood ;)

As long as it is not a reoccuring thing I wouldn't think too much of it. People have nightmares/dreams and scream, talk and do weird stuff in their sleep all the time. Just wait for the day for him to do something ackward and you two can share laughs ;)
    I had really messy dreams for a month or two, quite terrifying often wake up shouting n stuff. They went away after a while though. Think it was stress related. I had on the other day where someone was trying to "get me" and I elbowed them in the face, but in real life, i elbowed the panel at the top of my bed as hard as i could, which still hurts a bit now :(