Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

my music tech coursework

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aG6SDvgYd0

hey all
this is my music tech coursework
we had to recreate a song in the style of RnB (modern) so i chose dido-i'm no angel

the link is it
i would appericate some feedback

thanks all
curly

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Not bad at all. Curious as to how/why you chose the song - Dido is mainstream pop right? So, not sure how it would work out if you chose something more on the other end of the spectrum?
  • Options
    Hey, had a quick listen.

Wouldn't say im an expert in this so just what my ears tell me, there are others on the boards who might give better feedback :P

One thing i'd say straight away is your kick is very, very quiet. Nearly non existent. I think for an RnB track you need that big booming kick.

I had a quick look on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylrnLTxm_eU thats pretty basic but you can hear the boomy kick all the way through the track.

That paddy, atmospheric sound you made goes well i think and the bass sounds pretty good for what you need.

I think the piano needs some work, doesnt seem to fit very well in the track to me. Are you just playing single notes in that? Maybe add some chords in there? Fish about on youtube, there are loads of examples out there to get ideas from.

Good effort though :)
  • Options
    Uhm...The piano track would be so much better from someone who can play piano? It really doesn't sound like Dido's No Angel at all!
  • Options
    Yeah just had a listen to the original, tough to recreate that (to me anyway). Do you have the actual music sheet, with the notes? Or you just doing it by trial and error?
  • Options
    Agreed. Assuming Logic Pro works in a similar way to Cubase (going back 12 years now), you should really be developing the piano part by manually programming it.

Also agreed about the kick drum. It just isn't in the mix.

My opinion is that you really need to build the soundscape up a bit.
  • Options
    Uhm...The piano track would be so much better from someone who can play piano? It really doesn't sound like Dido's No Angel at all!

I agree...the piano just sounds like someone messing about!
  • Options

how do u mean???
    no vocals? diffrent instrumentation??
    the reason theres no vocals is because we had to use the logic synths all the way through for it
    it also means we weren't allowed to record the vocals or any of it so i had to play it all in or write it in which would have taken an age
    any way
    I've changed the bass drum so its more obvious, put a bit of reverb on it

thanks for the feed back any way
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    how do u mean???
    no vocals? diffrent instrumentation??
    the reason theres no vocals is because we had to use the logic synths all the way through for it
    it also means we weren't allowed to record the vocals or any of it so i had to play it all in or write it in which would have taken an age
    any way
    I've changed the bass drum so its more obvious, put a bit of reverb on it

thanks for the feed back any way

I'd be careful with adding reverb to the bass, i find it tends to make things abit messy in the low end. Maybe added another layer to it or sub bass to give it that extra oompf.
  • Options
    Uhm...the piano track just doesn't sound like the melody. At all. It's not recognisable.
  • Options
    i would have either recorded this on guitar live, or used something off EX24...

the drums sound like a loop, i think you could easily make them sound far more human. use ultrabeat and the rock kit and listen to the track whilst doing it or at least mark down the drum pattern- whats the time sig (should be 4/4), and where are the accents whats on which beat.

don't add reverb to the kick, not unless you are compressing it like hell - which might be an idea, but still only a tiny bit.

if you are trying to make it like the original then you need to be aware theres 2 layers of guitars, bass, tabla, and acordian in there as well...if you are trying to make a cover thats different then you need to bear that in mind. guitars and piano don't really work as subsitutes for each other...another synth might though....