Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Canning town residents 'urged' to carry 2 forms of ID with them...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just posting it quickly because i saw this on free paper on way home...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23668681-details/Residents+ordered+to+carry+ID+to+get+past+roadblocks/article.do
Instructions to those living at the western end of the Excel estate have been posted on Newham council's website and flyers explaining the guidance have been sent in the post. The instructions say residents should carry "two forms of identification/proof of address (one of which must be photographic) to gain entry through security cordons".

Residents of private flats in Western Gateway, part of the Excel estate, say it is the latest in a long line of unnecessarily stringent demands.

Insurance executive Sarah Roberts, 35, said: "I can understand extra measures being put in place but this is completely over the top. Surely police can verify someone without having to resort to imposing something so draconian? We are British and we do not have to carry ID, that is one of the best things about this country."

Natasha Fernz, 32, an IT consultant with dual Malaysian and British nationality, said: "It is like being in another country where you are forced to carry your passport."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/g20-risk-of-riots-or-london-having-an-anxiety-attack-1656628.html

the police have no legal power to force residents to have ID to access their homes, yet the local council publishes it on their website
http://www.newham.gov.uk/News/2009/March/G20summit.htm

surely erm a tad repressive :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It does sound draconian at first, but I think with the numbers of world leaders present it makes sense to prevent everyone but residents from entering the area.

Can you imagine the chaos if something did happen?
    Can't they meet at Chequers instead?
    Whowhere wrote: »
    It does sound draconian at first, but I think with the numbers of world leaders present it makes sense to prevent everyone but residents from entering the area.
    Utter rubbish. Why should politicians be immune from real life, from criticism? That's why they're so bloody out of touch with reality in the first place.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Utter rubbish. Why should politicians be immune from real life, from criticism? That's why they're so bloody out of touch with reality in the first place.

I was talking about potential terrorists.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise that members of Al-Qaeda walk around with T-shirts saying "Death to the Infidels", whilst holding copies of the Koran and talking about what they're going to do when they meet their 72 virgins.

What are you on about, seriously? In the eyes of the authorities, EVERYBODY is a potential terrorist.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise that members of Al-Qaeda walk around with T-shirts saying "Death to the Infidels", whilst holding copies of the Koran and talking about what they're going to do when they meet their 72 virgins.

What are you on about, seriously? In the eyes of the authorities, EVERYBODY is a potential terrorist.

exactly, what if one of the residents decided to save themselves all these years to do something, it doesn't stop anything in particular it's just politicians hiding themselves from the people they are accountable to
    exactly, what if one of the residents decided to save themselves all these years to do something, it doesn't stop anything in particular it's just politicians hiding themselves from the people they are accountable to

That's a pretty big 'if'. And it does do something, you'd be the first shrieking in outrage if a politico was killed or seriously injured. Politicians are accountable through the ballot box, they're not accountable to a bunch of pysched up thugs who are living in some mythical utopia.
    Politicians are accountable through the ballot box, they're not accountable to a bunch of psyched up thugs who are living in some mythical utopia.
    "A bunch of psyched up thugs who are living in some mythical utopia" - sounds like our politicial establishment, through and through.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Good point, we need to protect as many people as possible from these politicians.
    That's a pretty big 'if'. And it does do something, you'd be the first shrieking in outrage if a politico was killed or seriously injured. Politicians are accountable through the ballot box, they're not accountable to a bunch of pysched up thugs who are living in some mythical utopia.

they're continually accountable being our government in a democracy, i didn't vote for the current party in power however people have the right to lobby government as much as they well feel like, otherwise they'd get away with murder(more often than they do at the moment)
    they're continually accountable being our government in a democracy, i didn't vote for the current party in power however people have the right to lobby government as much as they well feel like, otherwise they'd get away with murder(more often than they do at the moment)

Lobby yes (though lobbying has nothing to do with them being accountable to you), but they're not putting in place measures to stop you writing to the PM, but to prevent violence by unelected extremists against them.

I expect the area is probably quite close to where the meetings are being held or where the visitors are staying. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that if you're just letting anybody wander about it could cause a problem.

As much as you can't stand government or politicians, having them all wiped out at the same time wouldn't be a good thing.

If terrorists are going to kill anyone, shouldn't it be the people who made the decisions they're unhappy with rather than people who had nothing to do with it?
    If terrorists are going to kill anyone, shouldn't it be the people who made the decisions they're unhappy with rather than people who had nothing to do with it?

So far, out of all the terrorist attacks there have been around the world, the arseholes have yet to kill someone who is actually important.

If a terrorist had the capability to do, I'm sure they would. For the time being they concentrate on innocent people.
    I expect the area is probably quite close to where the meetings are being held or where the visitors are staying. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that if you're just letting anybody wander about it could cause a problem.
    You mean politicians might actually find out just how pissed off people really are right now? Well, we can't be having them discover inconvenient truths like that!

On another note, is there now anyone who seriously believes that tomorrow won't be nothing more than a talking shop? For the last three months, Jonah Brown has been talking (at pretty much anyone who'll listen to him for even a second) about how important this summit is, and how it's going to completely change the world. Yet in the last few weeks, his strategy has - yet again - fallen to shit. He talked about a "global fiscul stimulus" a few weeks back. Angela Merkel led the opposition to it from Europe. Tomorrow's summit lasts just over 4½ hours, hardly enough to get anything meaningful done.

Still, as long as it means one of the architechts of this recession doesn't get the blame, Gordon'll be alright...
    On another note, is there now anyone who seriously believes that tomorrow won't be nothing more than a talking shop? For the last three months, Jonah Brown has been talking (at pretty much anyone who'll listen to him for even a second) about how important this summit is, and how it's going to completely change the world. Yet in the last few weeks, his strategy has - yet again - fallen to shit. He talked about a "global fiscul stimulus" a few weeks back. Angela Merkel led the opposition to it from Europe. Tomorrow's summit lasts just over 4½ hours, hardly enough to get anything meaningful done.

:yes:. With all the preperations Obama alone is taking, I don't see the point. There are more secure ways to have a confrence with the world leaders, without the need to travel thousands of miles for a few hours visit.

Here, found the link. http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Barack-Obama-G20-Visit-President-Has-Beast-Limousine-Kitted-Out-With-Rocket-Grenades-And-Own-Blood/Article/200903415252127?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_5&lid=ARTICLE_15252127_Barack_Obama_G20_Visit%3A_President_Has_Beast_Limousine_Kitted_Out_With_Rocket_Grenades_And_Own_Blood_

£19m - Estimated cost of hosting G20
    £7.5m - Rough cost of policing
    84,000 - Police hours taken up by G20
    22 - Countries taking part
    90 - Percentage of world's GDP represented by G20 nations
    2,500 - Journalists at G20
    So far, out of all the terrorist attacks there have been around the world, the arseholes have yet to kill someone who is actually important.

If a terrorist had the capability to do, I'm sure they would. For the time being they concentrate on innocent people.

They don't have the capability to do it because the important people make sure they're protected by doing stuff like this. They could protect everyone, including themselves, by not making stupid decisions to start with. It would be cheaper too, leaving them with more money for whatever stupid "essential" they're using their expenses for.
    I think the summit was more about acting confident and talking a lot than anything else. Why should any of those people worry? They're not going to be homeless if they lose their jobs are they?
    They don't have the capability to do it because the important people make sure they're protected by doing stuff like this. They could protect everyone, including themselves, by not making stupid decisions to start with. It would be cheaper too, leaving them with more money for whatever stupid "essential" they're using their expenses for.
    I think the summit was more about acting confident and talking a lot than anything else. Why should any of those people worry? They're not going to be homeless if they lose their jobs are they?

But who decides what counts as a stupid decision? It should be the electorate in us each having a fair and equal vote, not some vengeful martyr. Politicians need to be free from fear of attack in order to do their job.

I don't know how corrupted politicians are today, but the principle is basic. They are representatives of the people. When you or I lose our job and our families because of the economic downturn our MP should be standing up wherever he can making our plight heard. Since MPs have been debating different ways to 'fix' the economy and bring jobs back they've at least been talking about it.

The way I think of our political system is that it is the 'least worst'. No individual is perfect and therefore there is always the chance of crook politicians but we have the power ultimately to vote them out vote someone else in. If nobody floats your boat, run for the position yourself as an independent!