Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Self-Harming:(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My best friend is self-harming.
Put bluntly.:confused:
I love her to bits, I really do:heart: . But she is so strong willed. She won't listen to me or our other best friend.:banghead:
She doesn't want help, but I think she needs it.
She has been doing it about three weeks, and already her whole upper arm is covered.
I'm so worried about her and I cry a lot. She says she does it because she doesn't do anything right at home. She says her life sucks.
She won't let me tell anyone either. She says that if anyone finds out, she will run.
And that her parents will kill her.
I don't think that's true, her parents are really nice.
My Mum knows and my other best friend. I had to tell my Mum. I needed to tell someone. And I trust my Mum.
I know that's breaking her trust, but it's such a serious issue.
My Mum said she wasn't going to tell anyone. That that was for me to do if I decided to do so.
My best friend thinks it's okay because her friend does it. Just because of that one reason. She doesn't seem to understand the implications it can have on her life.
I have been signed up for this peer listening thing by my teacher. I thought at first that my Mum had told. But my teacher had just picked at random. My peer listener is so nice and I so badly wanted to tell her, but I don't want to lose my best friend.:banghead:
We are going away to Spain in the Summer and I'm not going to let her do it there. No way. And it's hot so she will have them on show. I have no clue what to do.
I'm sorry if I've rambled but I've given as much information as I can. Please help.
Oh, she uses a blade that looks like it's out of a sharpener.:shocking:

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm sure others will be along with practical advice soon but this might be a good starting read - http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/supportingsomeonewhoselfharms
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi there Ahundredpercentworry :wave:

Welcome to the boards, I think you've come to the right place, its clear that you care for your friend very much and you've shown them great loyalty.

I would recommend that you take a look around thesite there are some really useful links and factsheets, check outsupporting someone who self harms.

Remember to take care of yourself as well and keep posting to let us know how you're getting on.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi,
    its so good that youve opened up about it, i can tell how hard this is for you. I too self harm, and i am trying despretly to stop. I havent told anyone, bit i know now that i need to stop.
    the best advice i can give you is to just keep an eye on her, but if she doesnt want to stop and shes feeling low then i dont think youll be able to do anything, she needs to want to stop too. Bless you, your such a good friend for sticking with her in the position that you are in.
    I think maybe you should tell your peer listener, im sure she would keep it confidential and she would be able to help you deal with it and try to help your friend cope,
    I hope what ive said has helped you, and good luck:heart: