Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

HELP!! BREAKING UP WITH SOMEONE... how???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
help guys and girls...what should I say? I'm planning on breaking up with my bf of 2 months as it is not going great- my heart isnt in it neither is my head. anyway to the point, i have to do this breakup via phone or email. and much as i'm tempted by the email i know its harsh so i'm going to phone but i don't really know how to say it as i'm shocking speaking to people about this kinda stuff.

any advice?

thanks!

ps i have to phone or email cos we live about 3 or 4 hours away and dont really see each other much.

Comments

• Options
    Give him a reason, keep it short. It's not easy but you've got to do it.

"It's not really working out, I think we should finish things."
  • Options
    tbh, i would just come out with it and be truthful, but don't be cruel
    just tell him ur not feeling it any more
    imo don't do it by email, at least do it by phone or by face
  • Options
    Phone them up and say "hey baby, welcome to Dumpsville, population: you".

Or not. Don't do it by email though. Or phone. You should really do it face to face. Surely they deserve the 3 hour trip?

The phone is the least worst option I guess.
  • Options
    greenday88 wrote: »
    help guys and girls...what should I say? I'm planning on breaking up with my bf of 2 months as it is not going great- my heart isnt in it neither is my head. anyway to the point, i have to do this breakup via phone or email. and much as i'm tempted by the email i know its harsh so i'm going to phone but i don't really know how to say it as i'm shocking speaking to people about this kinda stuff.

any advice?

thanks!

ps i have to phone or email cos we live about 3 or 4 hours away and dont really see each other much.

Hold on - you've been 'with' them for two months. You're 3-4 hours away and don't see each other much. So, how many times have you actually seen them?

Honestly? I think breaking up with somebody by phone is fine in this instance. If you want to make it 'nicer', then write the person a letter. I don't think two months is anything you should really be worried about breaking anybodies heart over.
  • Options
    If your heart and head are in agreement then things can not be saved.

Quick and straight to point - don't head fuck him with crap. Tell him truth and have done with it.

Leave the "I wanna be friends" and "Its not you, it's me" shit at the door and just tell him your feelings have changed and you don't fancy him anymore.

You can do it by txt, e-mail or phone....He might respect the phone call the most but fuck it, you don't owe him that much after 2 months. But you do owe him proper reason and not some made up fake one imo.
  • Options
    done. i had to phone- i wouldnt see him again for a few weeks and it wasnt fair to keep him hanging on til then. plus then one of us would have to travel back feeling like s**t.

thanks for your advice though :)
  • Options
    and yeah the distance was a big factor in my disision. to begin with when we decided to give it a shot i said we should see what the distance was like, but i hated it, it screwed me up even more and wasnt nice. and it got to intense to quick too and yeah, i cant explain all my thoughts about it because i'm crap at getting things out. but i had doubts for a while. so this is most definately the best thing.
  • Options
    2 months isn't that long for a relationship. How did he take it?
  • Options
    yeah he took it well as far as I can tell. He was a bit disappointed but I think he understood. we are both really busy with uni and work so I think he saw the logic and apparantly he thought something was up last time we met up last weekend. He said he wanted to remain friends though and thats fine with me I guess.
  • Options
    im glad he took it well :)
  • Options
    yeah well thats what I thought. apparantly facebook says otherwise... but in the long run it's better for us both. and it was screwing me up even more carrying on with it. i guess he just needs a bit of time.
  • Options
    Reading your other posts suggests to me that you don't need an LTR right now anyway. So, it's clearly for the best, for him as well as you.