Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Halve the population, says Govt adviser

Says the Sunday Times: "Jonathon Porritt, one of Gordon Brown’s leading green advisers, is to warn that Britain must drastically reduce its population if it is to build a sustainable society. Porritt’s call will come at this week’s annual conference of the Optimum Population Trust (OPT), of which he is patron. The trust will release research suggesting UK population must be cut to 30m if the country wants to feed itself sustainably. Porritt said: 'Population growth, plus economic growth, is putting the world under terrible pressure. Each person in Britain has far more impact on the environment than those in developing countries so cutting our population is one way to reduce that impact'."

I notice that this over-paid cocktrumpet hasn't made a single suggestion about how we can actually cut the population. Is he seriously arguing, for example, that we should introduce death camps to this country? After all, that'll send our Prime Mentalist's approval ratings back to the high levels that Blair used to enjoy in the late 90s, won't it? Idiot. Presumably Porritt will be front of the queue for those who are going to sacrifice themselves for a better world.

What do you all make of his words?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    One child policy.
    But then all you get is a nation of old biddies.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Collectivist swines. They should all be ground into biofuel :yippe:
  • Options
    If you Google population control ...or better still youtube it ...you get some scary results from some very respectable and sane people.
  • Options
    I dont think the UK population will drop that much but for all of us under the age of 40 will see the Worlds population drop, perhaps by as much as a billion or so. The climate is completely buggered.
  • Options
    They just want an excuse to stop paying for the NHS or start a nuclear war with Iran or something.
    I'm fine with the killing half the population idea as long as MP's are willing to go first.
  • Options
    Great. We'll start with all the people who voted Labour. Followed by all the people who voted Conservative. That should be about 50% shouldn't it? Actually, that might be a bit generous, when you take kids into account too.

What a load of bollocks though. What affect does the population of Britain specifically have to do with anything? It's the carbon footprint per person that's the issue, not the number of people in Britain. Unless you're planning on extending this compulsory euthanasia to the rest of the world.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Skive wrote: »
    But then all you get is a nation of old biddies.

We're heading that way anyway.......
  • Options
    Bankrupt the nation and most people will gladly move abroad.

Phase 1 of the plan is going well ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Bankrupt the nation and most people will gladly move abroad.

Phase 1 of the plan is going well ;)

I'll go!! Send me to Japan Mr PM!
  • Options
    Send me to Hawaii :-) Aloha!
  • Options
    Brilliant! I think this plan might actually work out!
  • Options

What a load of bollocks though. What affect does the population of Britain specifically have to do with anything? It's the carbon footprint per person that's the issue, not the number of people in Britain. Unless you're planning on extending this compulsory euthanasia to the rest of the world.

It's about feeding you and me.
    This country cannot grow enough food for the amount of people living here.
    It will never again be able to provide full employment either.
    There are growing food problems around the world.
    We cannot guarantee imports of food for much longer ...they are not guaranteed.
  • Options
    Britain could easily feed more than 60m people. It would take a substantial price rise to create the incentive to do so though.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Britain could easily feed more than 60m people. It would take a substantial price rise to create the incentive to do so though.

Feed us what ...porridge and potatoes?
  • Options
    No, conspiracies and lies :eek:
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    No, conspiracies and lies :eek:

iconcool5lw.gif
  • Options

better than nothing.
  • Options
    Life suddenly doesn't appear so rosy in the promised land...

Though try telling that to the baying hordes in Calais...
  • Options
    Well if the population keeps increasing, one very early problem we'll have to face is the number of cars on our roads.

And whether motorists like it or not (and I'm one of them), we're going to either start charging the Earth for driving, or restrict the number of cars on the road at any one time. Because there simply won't be room for them- there barely is now as it is.
  • Options

I like porridge :(

We could do cheese too though. Suddenly there is a whole world of cuisine.

edit: though this might be controversial, there is nothing wrong with eugenics and human population control. I don't think it should be 'controlled' as I believe people should be free, but I think people should have the common sense if they look around a bit to see that it's unsustainable to have 20 kids and its only thanks to the government that they can even afford to feed that many. Family planning is about maintaining the healthy balance and why many families decide to get vasectomies etc.

Hitler made eugenics hugely unpopular and even a dirty word after his skewed and deluded perspective on it. Before that though, pretty much all the western leaders thought it was generally a good thing, to differing extents. Imagine the most overcrowded places in the world - the shanty towns in rio de janeiro with 65,000 people living in 3 square kilometres. That's a population density about 15 times more than where I live.

Now when I was talking about my "enlightened absolutism" in the form of a robot programmed to run through hundreds of thousands of different social policy scenarios and their outcomes, with no prejudice, with the goal of maximising the human quality of life sustainably, then it would probably agree. Because it is the best course of action. Just politically and emotionally it's not something people like to think about. I think population control falls under the same measure.

I do think all this should be voluntary though, I don't like compulsion.
  • Options
    How do they expect it to fall that much? They even said it themselves, 3rd world countries. Most people who come from poorer backgrounds move to the UK for work. It wont stop rising until every country is at least developing.

We first need to deal with the change. Cut so many of the ties to other countries that relay on our imports, fair trade etc. I couldn't care less right now about the enviroment. Cutting the population that much for "greener" purposes will cause mayhem, where will they go? Wherever it will be, it'll be the same problem once again.