Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Renting a Car Abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone done it? got any horror stories? words of advice, etc? Thinking of doing it in NZ but not sure.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Make sure you know the insurance excesses/limitation and the deposit amounts, and be aware to check for restrictions on driving on untarmaced roads or out of the country.

Make sure you read the small print and take photos of any existing damage before you leave the rental office.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im just about to reply to your PM, sorry i dont have much net access atm :]

but just thought i'd add that i wouldnt worry about driving over here because i've been doing it, and its pretty alright, they drive on the same side of the road as the UK and there are only a few small differences in road rules so its not too tricky. :] quite expensive though from what i can gather, to hire one - i'd check out a fair few places and compare prices.
    I found some really cheap deals online like £10 a day to rent a car BUT you put up like $1,000 deposit off your credit card and it says they reserve the righ tto bank the money for 3 months in case of any fines or dmagae claims that come after you've left.

It sounds kinda dodgey to me.

if they wait 3 months to send back your despoit they know you're well out of the country and can claim anything knowing you won't go back to kick up a fuss.
    That is certainly dodgy to me. Reputatable companies should send the deposit back within a couple of days then invoice you if anything comes through later. Someone banking your money for three months is suspect to me.
    Yeah this company could be odgey or just be cheap cos they earn a fortune on bank interest from all their car deposits.

I've found a chap driving from north to south island but very quickly cos he's only moving and not sightseeing, and may catch a lift with him and after seeing what the road are like then decide to rent or not myself.
    When i went to NZ we bought rather than hired a car - because it was cheaper esp as we were only teenagers and noone was going to rent us one realisitcally. If you stay in hostels there are always people trying to sell on cars at the end of thier trip and they aren't too expensive. Though you do have to know a bit about buying cars.

Oh and also you need to factor in the cost of taking the car on the Interislander as well.
    When my sister and her bf went to NZ they bought a really cheap old camper van. It worked out perfectly as it meant they had somewhere to sleep and didn't have to worry about hostels etc and it was really reliable and much cheaper than renting.
    Hi, i know a site, it has deals now: Up to $20 off Budget Rental at Expedia. i have ever rented on it before. Very convinient! have a good time!!!
    make sure you full the tank up before you take the car back or it will cost you loads.
    What is the age to rent a car in the UK and other places? that you are aware of?
    In the UK its usually 23 with some companies going down to 21.
    Just echoing what everyone else has said:

Read the small print of all the paper work - make sure you meet their criteria i.e. age etc and length of time you must have had your licence.

Check out these: http://www.wicked-campers.co.nz/pricing

Sometimes a camper is cheaper than a car - particularly if you factor in hostel / hotel costs.

Check for previous damage and take photos and document it.

Drive sensibly and adhere to all local rules i.e. speed limits and don't drink and drive - some other countries can be much harsher than the UK with things like this.

I've driven abroad before, numerous times - mostly in Europe, but so far have enjoyed it.

Most reputable places just take your card details and won't actually charge your card. I think i'd be worried that they want to 'hold on' to your deposit.

You might be better off paying a couple of pounds more per day for something more honest. If something sounds too good to be true...

Only let those who are insure to drive, drive.
    since posting I rented 3 different cars from 2 different companies - my biggest recommendation would be to take the insurance options to get your liability to zero - I found once you did that most car companies didn't even bother to examine the cars too much as they can just claim any damage off the insurance company and not yourself.

In fact the biggest thing was to make sure you didn't drive on a toll road by mistake and not pay the fee, something you have to be very careful of in some places.