Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

overdraft charges

i have a graduate overdraft of £2000.

ive just checked my bank account online this morning and its -£2004.1.

the reason its gone overdrawn is because they've taken out my phone bill early. however, on my bank statement online, it says 23rd march which is monday. have they just put this on early?

i get paid on monday. will i get get charged an overdraft fee for going over my overdraft? im not actually going over it as i get paid on monday and the payment does say on my bank statement 23rd march but at the moment, my account is appearing as overdrawn over my limit?

im just worried im gonna get slamed with a £38 charge. nothing appears on my bank statement. do charges normally get put on straight away?

im with natwest.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hola!

Yup, even though I work for O2 even I've been gubbed with them taking my phone bill out the day before they even pay me. I still had to be charged for going over my overdraft.

Your bill payment date probably says 'on or around the 23rd' at the bottom of your bill which gives a bit of leeway before or after that date I'm afraid. I always cancel my d/d and make a manual card payment and then set it back up for next month if I know my d/d will come out a few days before I get paid.

Rubbish, I know but it's just whether a weekend falls before the due date, really. Speak to the bank and address it rather than just letting £40 come out for a matter of £4 or so. Say you'll be more careful or will adjust the payment due date so it falls on your new payday.
    If you talk to your bank they may decide to waive the fee, if you're really lucky.

All my DDs bills are paid 3-6 days after my payday
    the charge hasn't gone on yet.

when is it likely it will be put on if i get one?

with my halifax account, my charges in the past have gone on straight away.
    I think with NatWest they give you a tiny bit of leeway. I know that with my student account, they let me go £7 over my overdraft limit (though they wouldn't let me take any more out) without charging me.
    i hope so :(

i cannot afford thirty or forty quid.

the thing is, on my bank statement, it says the payment is coming out on monday so its taken my overdraft over its limit. i get paid on monday though so hopefully it will be ok.

just not sure when the charge would appear on my statement? i might pop into natwest on monday to find out.
    If it hasn't appeared on your statement on Monday then I wouldn't worry about it. They can't slap a charge on you when you've already taken yourself above the limit. Even with shitty arseholes Barclays, who charge me £22 every 5 days I'm over my limit, they give me two or three days to get back into my od limit.
    mmmm, hopefully i will be ok then! *fingers crossed*. like i say, payment is due and is coming out monday and i get paid then.

can't wait to pay my overdraft off so i dont have to worry about these things :grump:
    mmmm, well just my luck, i haven't been paid. rang payroll and they entered in my account number wrong. i have no idea when im now going to get paid.

thankfully, the boyfriendh as lent me one of his bank cards and i can get the cash into my account today.

as the money won't have gone in at midnight, do you reckon they'll charge me now as officially, i would have been overdrawn 12 hours/half a day.

im gonna ask at the bank anyway but meh.
    I would get on to your payroll anyway as they should be able to speed things up or if not reimburse you for charges.
    Mist wrote: »
    I would get on to your payroll anyway as they should be able to speed things up or if not reimburse you for charges.

pfft! they have been useless! i still have no idea when im going to get paid.

they have typed in my account number incorrectly (despite giving it them THREE times as they kept losing them) and my money has been deposited into someobody elses account. they have told me they need to get it back from this person's account before they can give it me.

like i say, luckily, my boyfriend could lend me some money. i put that in my bank this morning and apparently because the payment came out today and i put in some cash before 3.30pm, i shoudln't get charged but if i do, it will go on at the end of the month.

if i get charged, i'll be straight onto payroll demanding they pay for them. idiots.