Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to do?????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi. New to the forum.

I recently joined a dating site called . I used to be on it before but deleted my profile as I got bored of not receiving any replies.

I rejoined because I feel lonely, and I guess what you call, desperate for a girlfriend. I don't want to be lonely any more. I want a relationship!

I have this on my profile what I like and what sort of girl I'm looking for.

"I re-joined this site to try again and because I can't seem to find a girlfriend face-to-face and probably because I'm shy.
I am caring, loving and I'm a good listener. I have been told that I'm sweet and cute. I am in full-time employment, working in Skipton. I'm looking for another job. I would like to work for the MoD but I can't find anything.

I'm interested in photography, cycling, walking in the Yorks Dales, computing and two other hobbies which I know you won't be interested in. I enjoy a wide variety of music and films.

I'm looking for someone who is between 19 and 26 who is caring, lovable, trustworthy, doesn't cheat, is open to new ideas/hobbies and has a good sense of humour. Maybe we could work together and try and turn me un-shy!

If we get along ok, maybe we could turn it into a serious relationship and settle down with each other. But of course we have to get to know each and date for quite a while.

I know that I may not be prince charming, but surely there must be SOMEONE who lives near me who likes me for who I am and even thinks "Hey he's cute/good-looking. I want to get to know him".

If you think I'm interesting, then please send me a message.:)
"

I think it is better that what I've wrote in the past. Others have been lame and sooo boring.

So ladies, what would you say about what I've wrote for my profile?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    That's cool, I like the fact you've included a wide range of interests. Just a couple of suggestions for you. Rather than saying you can't find a girlfriend, put you've 'not found the right girl'. Makes you sound more like you know what sort of girl you'd like to be with rather than there's been noone. :yes:

When you say you want to work for the MoD and can't find anything. Maybe say something which shows a bit more confidence, like 'I hope to work for the MoD one day'. Just seems to show a bit more ambition than 'I can't'.

You sound like a nice decent guy, my main impression would be you don't seem to be too eager to sell your qualities. I'm not too great at that either, but I'm sure other posters will have some more suggestions for you.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on :thumb:
  • Options
    To be honest i think it sounds a bit desperate.

If i were you i'd leave out the bits about 'i cant seem to find a girlfriend face to face' and 'If we get along ok, maybe we could turn it into a serious relationship and settle down with each other. But of course we have to get to know each and date for quite a while. I know that I may not be prince charming, but surely there must be SOMEONE who lives near me who likes me for who I am and even thinks "Hey he's cute/good-looking. I want to get to know him".'

I think if you just keep to talking about yourself but try to seem too needy or trying to hard, it'll put girls off otherwise
  • Options
    "I re-joined this site to try again and because I can't seem to find a girlfriend face-to-face and probably because I'm shy.
    I am caring, loving and I'm a good listener. I have been told that I'm sweet and cute. I am in full-time employment, working in Skipton. I'm looking for another job. I would like to work for the MoD but I can't find anything.

I'm interested in photography, cycling, walking in the Yorks Dales, computing and two other hobbies which I know you won't be interested in. I enjoy a wide variety of music and films.

I'm looking for someone who is between 19 and 26 who is caring, lovable, trustworthy, doesn't cheat, is open to new ideas/hobbies and has a good sense of humour. Maybe we could work together and try and turn me un-shy!

If we get along ok, maybe we could turn it into a serious relationship and settle down with each other. But of course we have to get to know each and date for quite a while.
    I know that I may not be prince charming, but surely there must be SOMEONE who lives near me who likes me for who I am and even thinks "Hey he's cute/good-looking. I want to get to know him".

If you think I'm interesting, then please send me a message.:)
    "

I think it is better that what I've wrote in the past. Others have been lame and sooo boring.

So ladies, what would you say about what I've wrote for my profile?:confused:
    Every single one of these things would flag up massive warning signals to me. Think about how you're coming across in what you say. Half of the stuff you've written here would make me think you were a desperate psycho or at bst just plain dull, sorry. Try thinking about what you would think if you read somebody elses profile with this description on.
  • Options
    I know you have to be yourself on these things as much as possible... But in my opinion it's the same as writing a CV or a letter to a prospective employer... It's best if you don't put anything negative about yourself in as it's not really selling yourself. This is just the advert to get people to find out more about the real you.

Also, keep contacting others on there. Some may not reply, but they do say it's a numbers game.
  • Options
    I am caring, loving and I'm a good listener. I have been told that I'm sweet and cute.

I would never put that in there. Nobody says about himself "I don't give a crap about you, I'm nasty and I don't listen to your needs."

It's just such an empty description of oneself that it actually comes over as negative. That people who don't really have anything interesting about them, describe themselves with adjectives that every person should have as a basis.
  • Options
    Thanks flibberty for your post. Just changed those two things. I will let you know how I get on.
  • Options
    WOO HOO

One message recieved on the website. She lives nearly 20 miles away....well 18.5miles. I wish someone close would send me a message!
  • Options
    Thanks flibberty for your post. Just changed those two things. I will let you know how I get on.
    What about the rest? I agree that you should stick to positive things only!
  • Options
    18.5 miles is nothing really. Try chatting to her - what have you got to loose?
  • Options
    I do agree with the suggestions people have added here. In terms of not putting anything which may even be vaguely construed as negative I'm undecided about. this Personally if someone is open about not having a natural confidence or skill at dating, this wouldn't put me off chatting to them and finding out more. I think there are enough people who hide behind their computers, construct a reasonably charasmatic profile, but are in reality extremely dull, to not make a bit of tongue-in-cheek self deprecation too big a crime! :D For example, 'two other hobbies which I know you won't be interested in' I think works as it invites questions, whilst suggesting Mr Ferrari isn't some self obsessed oddball who is going to blab on about an unusual or boring interest, just because not many people like it or whatever and therefore it makes him 'so unique', without someone at least prying a bit and giving their opinion first.

Reading through again, adding a bit more about the films and music you're interested in is an obvious way to grab a bit more interest and give people something more to respond to. I would say think of the profile as a work in progress, take on board that giving an overall impression of being a bit more confident and positive will certainly do no harm. Stick to something you feel comfortable with for now, but as you get responses and you become more confident, keep revising it.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies. They are much appreciated.

Before she sent me a message I looked at her profile and found out where she lived. I think its a long way to drive, but since its the only girl I'm talking to, I might as well give it a go and see where it leads.

I've moved my hobbies up to a box headed 'Interests'.

And I have changed the part from where it says that "sweet and cute".

I have wrote this "I am in full-time employment, working in Skipton. I'm looking for another job. I would like to have a career in computers such as Webpage Design. My dream job is to work for the MoD one day."
  • Options
    I thought it sounded good. :rolleyes:
    Good luck anyway :D.
    xxx
  • Options
    Thanks MFA.

Just changed my profile again

"This is the second time I have joined this site because no one was sending me any message. I also rejoined because since being off this site, I haven't found the right girl, probably because I'm shy.

I consider myself to be caring, loving, trustworthy and a good listener. I'm in full time employment working in Skipton. I'm looking for another job. I'm looking for something exciting. My dream job/career is to work for the MoD.

I have a few hobbies/interests these are photography, computers, cycling, driving, gaming (ps3), listening to Pop, HipHop, R'n'B, Celtic and Dance music. I enjoy watching old and new movies; Sci-Fi, Comedy, Adventure, Fantasy, Animated.

I'm looking for someone who is around my age, which is caring, trustworthy, doesn't cheat and has a good sense of humour. I would like someone who has a great smile. I would also like to meet someone who could try and turn me un-shy.

There must be someone near Keighley who likes me for who I am and maybe even thinks ?Hey, he;s cute/good-looking. I'd like to get to know him?. !!!

if you think your interested then please send me a message.
    "

I'm still getting to know the lass (although I am having second thoughts about how far she lives! I'm from Keighley and she's from Heckmondwike!!!!!!!!).

Just got a message from her telling me I'm cute!
  • Options
    I'm a girl and have been on dating sites (found my current bloke on one) and the first thing I did when I received messages from guys was to read their profile.

The message you want to send is that you're interesting. I agree with StrubbleS, I read your description and nothing about it made me keen to contact you.

After the changes your current opening statement is pure poison. It hints that there's something wrong with you and would encourage me to find somebody else to waste my time on.

I also don't fancy the 'doesn't cheat' and 'I would also like to meet someone who could try and turn me un-shy' parts in who you're looking for.

'There must be someone near Keighley who likes me for who I am'
    Again, this is pure poison and supports the thought that you create with your opening statement.

---
    Try to create a feeling for who you are. You need a hook. For example in my profile I wrote that I had the 'best job in the world' and I received a lot of questions about that. I remember I also wrote I was a fireball that loved nothing more than to be lazy inbetween. That I was the type that switched between radio stations depending on the song playing.
    For a while I also listed names of bands or series I liked, and would list some recent films I had seen and what I thought without giving away any spoilers. Also mentioned I enjoyed the gym and mountain biking and tried to animate it a bit.
    Basically, I was trying to give people some conversation starters and give readers of my profile some sense if we'd have something in common.

My bloke contacted me first simply asking if I had hit the gym recently. We began exchanging messages about that and then moved on to uni, work, life, etc.

In your instance, is there anything in particular you like to photograph? Nature? Rust? The sunset? etc? What sort of cycling do you do? Do you go often or are you usually playing your ps3? (not a very positive hobby to a lot of girls btw ;)).
    I think the employment part has improved as it could be interpreted that you're not going to settle for just any job. :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Get rid of this:

"This is the second time I have joined this site because no one was sending me any message. I also rejoined because since being off this site, I haven't found the right girl, probably because I'm shy."

It kinda sets alarm bells ringing 'weirdo'.

Also (maybe it's just me) but I wouldn't contact you because you don't use the correct spellings or punctuation so try sorting that out too! I like clever men that can write!
  • Options
    I think your revamped message still sounds desparate.
  • Options
    Get rid of this:

"This is the second time I have joined this site because no one was sending me any message. I also rejoined because since being off this site, I haven't found the right girl, probably because I'm shy."

It kinda sets alarm bells ringing 'weirdo'.

Also (maybe it's just me) but I wouldn't contact you because you don't use the correct spellings or punctuation so try sorting that out too! I like clever men that can write!

I agree with the first bit.
    But I didn't even notice any bad spelling or whatnot... Probably cos I can't spell myself. ;) That wouldn't put me off someone unless they wrote in txt speak.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I agree with the first bit.
    But I didn't even notice any bad spelling or whatnot... Probably cos I can't spell myself. ;) That wouldn't put me off someone unless they wrote in txt speak.

It's probably just me then! Haha! I'm such a spelling/punctuation Nazi. That's what four years on a literature course has done to me! :no:
  • Options
    It's probably just me then! Haha! I'm such a spelling/punctuation Nazi. That's what four years on a literature course has done to me! :no:

:D
    I'm nit-picky in other ways. Just I think it'd be hypocritical of me to judge people about spelling and stuff... But mostly I just don't notice it.
  • Options
    I sent her my phone number yesterday through the dating site, telling her that she can text me when she wants. I haven't received a text yet. Maybe it was too soon to send her me phone number. In the past I've been getting to know others girls, got their number striaght away. Texted each other for a few weeks and it didn't go any further.

I'm just hoping that I meet this girl. She keeps calling me "sweet" "babe" "hunnie" and "hun".
  • Options
    I sent her my phone number yesterday through the dating site, telling her that she can text me when she wants. I haven't received a text yet. Maybe it was too soon to send her me phone number. In the past I've been getting to know others girls, got their number striaght away. Texted each other for a few weeks and it didn't go any further.

I'm just hoping that I meet this girl. She keeps calling me "sweet" "babe" "hunnie" and "hun".

Babe? I thought that was a pig?
  • Options

Wow thats...pretty forward, probably too forward tbh.
    Also, dont read anything into the nicknames, loads of people use them, its just a way of acknowledging someone. Babe and hun are on par with calling someone mate or pal
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Wow thats...pretty forward, probably too forward tbh.
    Also, dont read anything into the nicknames, loads of people use them, its just a way of acknowledging someone. Babe and hun are on par with calling someone mate or pal

:sour:

But yes, that is true.
  • Options
    I just wish she would get some credit on her phone!
  • Options
    I'm just starting to struggle what to say to her now. As I'm shy I always get this way when I've said the things I want to say to girls.

Please help. I need to keep her interested in me then she doesn't go with another guy.

What can I ask her/say to her?
  • Options

What can I ask her/say to her?

Its time to go down on one knee and pop the question....
    "Do you spit or swallow?"

Also get pissed and let beer do your talking - it's never let me down or lead me astray. :thumb:

Seriously the key with people is to ask open ended questions, that way they have to talk more and you get to just listen. You'll score brownie points and if you remember what she says and repeat it back few hours later you'll be laughing.

Show her you're not a wet blanket and you can be bit cheeky - no need to be shy guy when txting/emailing. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Harmless wrote: »

Love it!

To the OP, I think you need to chill out a bit. Don't pin all your hopes either on this girl or the online thing in general. Without sounding harsh, to her you're probably just some nice sounding guy who's emailed her twice - whearas you're already panicking incase she goes and gets another guy.

I know somebody who used match.com for a while, she saw it as an extension of her social life rather than pinning all her hopes on it.

It's all developing your confidence, a few years ago I was really shy about appraoching girls and stuff (still am to an extent). Now when I go out with my mates I talk to anyone, male or female and just concentrate on having a good time and a good banter. The rest will come naturally.

Would imagine it'd be similar with the online thing, just ask questions and be interested in what she's saying and have fun getting to know girls, rather than thinking you have to get a girlfriend.
  • Options
    Harmless wrote: »

Also get pissed and let beer do your talking - it's never let me down or lead me astray. :thumb:

Seriously the key with people is to ask open ended questions, that way they have to talk more and you get to just listen. You'll score brownie points and if you remember what she says and repeat it back few hours later you'll be laughing.

Show her you're not a wet blanket and you can be bit cheeky - no need to be shy guy when txting/emailing. :crazyeyes

Bit of a foward question when I don't even know the girl. But still I guess its worth a try.

I don't drink much, if I do I try not to get pissed. I remember the last time I got pissed and I kept on touching a girls arse. She didn't like it. So I can be naughty.

What sort of 'open-ended' questions do you mean?
  • Options
    ??
  • Options
    Come on what sort of "open-ended" questions should I ask?