Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Auckland - NZ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone ever been - anyone got any advice on what to do where to go, how many days is enough to be there?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've not been that far north, but thought I'd reply about the NZ bit from your rucksack thread in this thread.

When are you going to be in NZ? When I went, it was from the end of March to the end of April. It was probably about 15 degrees ish for most of the time I was there, the climate felt pretty much the same as it does here to be honest. Obviously Auckland will be warmer than the south island. How long are you there for? We spent some time near Lake Taupo in the middle of the North island, which was nice, and spent a week driving roung the top of the South island too, which was great. Can definitely recommend some places to go and see in the South Island if you're heading that way :yes:
    im there, at this very moment :D to be honest, from what iv seen of auckland, i would give yourself 3-4 days max. it depends what sort of stuff you like. there are just SO many nicer parts of NZ than auckland though. if you like city stuff with lots to do etc,then its for you, and stay here longer. otherwise i'd head up north, to places like the bay of islands, rotarua, taupo, tauranga, etc. its absolutely beautiful in those places.

the sky tower is something id recommend in auckland though, i quite liked it. the shopping is pap :/ but there lots of nice restaurants and cafes. when are you going to be going? right now in auckland its been a bit rainy and cloudy, but warm. its been sunny a few days. but in other places like the bay of islands its been gorgeous, warm hot and sunny. err,anything else you'd like to know ask and il try to help :D
    OK well I'm going to be there in the first week of April - I was only planning on spending 2 or 3 weeks in NZ as I have friends in Australia I planned to see BUT if I was really having fun I could stay 5 weeks in NZ and skip most of Australia - but my return flight to UK is from Sydney.

I have a place to stay in Auckland in this sort of area

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=freemans+bay,+auckland&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=uk&ei=fmPASb3UNuGL-Qav_4jYDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

I'll be there at least over a weekend - was hoping to either rent a car or share a car with others - I hear it's cheap there to rent.

How much further North should I go then that?

Also any advice on how to get out of NZ and to Australia?

I heard it's harder to fly out from the South Island?

I'd even love to go by ship to Australia if that was possible - have friends in Melbourne I'd like to see. Also would love to see Tasmania.

And eyah I want all the tips you guys can offer

What about getting a PAYG SIM Card there? how does that work?

In Aus I got a Virgin one from 7-11 for $10 with $10 credit - I'd like a similar deal in NZ only so people can call and SMS me rather then me making calls.
    I think FF means North in terms of NZ rather than North of Auckland, as Auckland is pretty close to the top as it is! Plus the places mentioned, such as Rotorua and Taupo are south of Auckland, about halfway up the North Island. If you have time, I would definitely consider checking out the South Island, it is definitely more beautiful than the North Island, although of course, that depends on what you are going for... if you are going for the City/night life, the South Island isn't really the place to go!
    The highlight when I went was swimming with wild dolphins in Kaikoura, which is on the east side of the South Island, between Christchurch and Picton.
    I think the best places to fly to Oz from are Wellington and Auckland, but I'm pretty sure you can get flights from Queenstown too, which is at the bottom of the South Island.