Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rucksac Tips for Aus & NZ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I ordered and received quite a nice 55 Litre Rucksack + 15 Day pack.

It's just like the one below .. This is my first ever proper Rucksack .. so any tips on how to adjust it? The back has a variable length - The rusksac didn't come with any kind of instructions on the best way to adjust it for long term comfort.

All I know is the idea is to get as much of the weight on you hips as possible so that your legs take the bulk of the weight.

Also any packing tip? I'm not planning on doing any kind of outdoor camping, just hostels, etc ... What I am planning is they when I fly abroad (to Aus and NZ) that the day pack will be what I take on board the plane and I'll check in the main bag.

33904_SS09_Ash_Granite_Black_Stand.jpg
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Any pictures of the other side, where all the straps are?

Does it have a waist strap or just arm straps? Does it have a chest strap? Is the strap system all fabric, or are there metal supports as well?

It should theoretically be your hips which support the weight, but not at the expense of your back. It basically needs to be centred in the 'middle' of your back, with the straps tight (but not so tight that your hands start to go numb ;) ), the bottom of the waist strap 'resting' on your hips, but the arm straps taking weight as well. Basically use all the straps, they don't put them there for nothing, so if it's got a chest strap, use it. The chest strap should be snug, but not so tight that the rucksack lifts off the bottom of your back. Hard to explain, sorry! All the straps should be tight, but not straining, and you shouldn't be able to feel the weight pressing on one particular place (e.g. lower back, hips, shoulders, chest). Could really do with a picture of the back to see what we're dealing with before offering adjustment of the actual bag advice...

Good idea with the using the day sack as your hand luggage, I have done that before. Other than that, what sort of packing advice did you want? As in what to pack, or how to pack it?

Hope that all makes sense!
  • Options
    Don't have any online photos of the other side - in fact I emailed the manufacturer to tell them you need more photos of your product on your website

But yes it has padded waist straps, and chest straps

My old russack which was only a cheap think I bought abroad also had waist straps but no padding of any kind and used to find my hand went numb as the circulation to my arms was cut off.

packing advice would be more for New Zealand - saw a programme on TV last night and made me think NZ is wetter then I expected

Also what about a quick drying towel? never used one are they expensive and are they any good?
  • Options
    When you get it fill it up with stuff and then adjust it until it feels right.

Quick drying towels are good but you need to keep it clean.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    When you get it fill it up with stuff and then adjust it until it feels right.

:yes:

If it is adjusted properly with the waist/chest straps, you shouldn't really feel it on your arms at all.

Yep, the quick dry towels are ok, and great for space saving, and like mist says, you really do need to keep it clean, as they do smell quite quickly, with not much encouragement. Also, DON'T IRON THEM... a friend of mine discovered that quite quickly, bless her ;)
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Quick drying towels are good but you need to keep it clean.

I used to chuck mine in the wash with my clothes when I went travelling.
    They will save you a lot of space and time.

You want to have the heavy bulky stuff at the bottom (shoes etc) and the lighter stuff near the top. Light bulky stuff is good for the top pocket.
  • Options
    I love it, how you spelled Rucksack in three different ways and all of them were wrong :lol:

sorry, this is not really helpful, but just made me giggle.