Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Why...the race for life...?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
not sure if this is the right place but here we go:

Only just thought of this but why is the "race for life" only for women? it doesnt make sense to me, its completely missing out on the opportunity of earning millions of more pounds for a deserving charity...surely it would make more sense to open it to everyone?

Obviously cancer is a horrible thing that has touched many people, not just women...

does anyone know the reason why?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is a father and son one as well, if you're feeling left out :p. But no, I don't know why.

ETA: Saz, there shouldn't have been men there. http://www.raceforlife.org/about-us/what-is-race-for-life.aspx

There is also a 10k run which is different from R4L.
    xsazx wrote: »
    isn't just for women the three i've done has had loaaaaaads of men doing it dressed as fairies hehe. Think it was originally started to raise money for breast cancer maybe is why tis more predominatly women though (hence the pink theme)

oh really? they may need to update their marketing then as everyone i've asked today couldn't answer me...

still even if it is for breast cancer can they be choosy enough to turn down donations raised by men? having said that there are plenty of men who suffer breast cancer...
    It's not just for breast cancer. That's a misconception because it's 'pink'. It's for all cancer.
    Franki wrote: »
    There is a father and son one as well, if you're feeling left out :p. But no, I don't know why.

i dont feel left out, i just feel its bloody odd in this day and age...

i dont want to do it! i give enough to charity as it is!! just out of curiosity
    i dont feel left out, i just feel its bloody odd in this day and age...

i dont want to do it! i give enough to charity as it is!! just out of curiosity
    I wonder a bit as well. I don't think it matters though, really. It's a nice feeling though, being in a big group of women all with the same goal. I didn't get that feeling with the half-marathon I did.
    I got it!

They only have 1 changing room!
    I got it!

They only have 1 changing room!

i take it that is a joke?
    i take it that is a joke?

100% serious. All my posts are 100% serious. Thats why i use full stops.