Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Recommended reads

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, here it is.

I finish my exams next week and I am planning to spend what little time I have left this summer when not working, reading because I am out of practice.

I want people's suggestions of what books they enjoy, and think I would enjoy - 1 contempary, 1 not so modern (preferably in the Penguin £1 classics series). Bear in mind i am starting an English degree in September and that is why I need to get into practice.

Thanks!:D :cool: :D :cool:

Comments

• Options
    Have you got a reading list from your uni? I have and it's a nightmare.
    My favourites at the moment: (humour me, cos this question is like bait)
    raymond carver - best short story writer EVER
    chekhov - second best
    Richard Ford - especially novels The SPortswriter and Independence Day
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun
    if you're looking for classics try Tom Jones by Fielding- a right laugh - or Confessions Of A Justified Sinner by James hogg. Jane Austen if you haven't read any?
    Lots of good russians... bulgakov, tolstoy if you're up for some epic stuff, solzenitsyn (or however the fuck you spell it)
    for uni I'm meant to be reading Paradise Lost and The Fairy QUeen. Ha! ALso chaucer, which is actually quite a laugh. Read the reeve's tale and the wifeof bath's tale. They's funny.
  • Options
    My own two favourite books are "Demian" by Herman Hesse. And "Rosemarys Baby" By Ira Levin.

Demian is one of those analyzing books, which you need to concentrate a bit to, if you want the whole meaning out of it. But it is my favourite book, and I think that everyone can find themselves somewhere in it. Definitely worth it.

Rosemarys Baby, is generally a good read, and raises some questions. You won't find yourself bored with it.

Not so moderne (penguin books): Little Women, its a classic, and we all love it no matter what we say :)

Hope that I could help you a bit, and that the books are usefull.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Prufrock
    Have you got a reading list from your uni? I have and it's a Lots of good russians... bulgakov, tolstoy if you're up for some epic stuff, solzenitsyn (or however the fuck you spell it)

Wouldn't go anywhere near Tolstoj if I was out of "practice" in reading. That is something which you should save for later, when it's become more of a routine, and you are used to it.
  • Options
    thanks guys, I do have a reading this for uni, it includes Paradise lost, Chaucer, Utopia, the book Bladerunner is based on and a few others. I was planning to read a couple, but to get me in the swing I thought I'd learn from what other people enjoy, rather than what i should read.

I'd like to read Tom Jones I think.

Any more suggestions welcome
  • Options
    utopia isn't hard and it's short too. not a bad way to start.
    is the blade runner one do androids dream of electric sheep? apparently its really good.
    My reading list is without exception hardcore renaissance/medieval stuff... nothing more modern til the second year. pisses me off a little.
  • Options
    If you are doing English you will soon be fed up of reading classics, why not try some plays, poetry, childrens literature?

God poor you having to do medieval at least I never had to do that. at Cardiff you had a choice.

I didn't really enjoy any of the books I had to read, except Tess of the D'urbervilles and The Bluest Eye.
  • Options
    On the other hand, if you're going to get fed up of reading classics, english is a pretty weird choice...
  • Options
    Not really-depends on the course, some courses you can choose to concentrate on an area of literature that interests you. I have totaly rebelled (in a bookish way) and since I left uni I only read childrens books and non fiction.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    If you are doing English you will soon be fed up of reading classics, why not try some plays, poetry, childrens literature?

God poor you having to do medieval at least I never had to do that. at Cardiff you had a choice.

I didn't really enjoy any of the books I had to read, except Tess of the D'urbervilles and The Bluest Eye.

yeah well i dont really have a lot of choice, but at the open day the existing students were saying, just start motivating yourself to read now because you will have no choice when you come here.

so, i want some good type books to at least get me started.

really appreciating these suggestions, please carry on

:):):):):)
  • Options
    Not really-depends on the course, some courses you can choose to concentrate on an area of literature that interests you. I have totaly rebelled (in a bookish way) and since I left uni I only read childrens books and non fiction.
    i agree you cna get away without it, I'm juts saying if youu want to maybe you should do a different course. Similar to the way lots of people who want to do history just want to study one specific period which they htink is cool... they aren't interested in the way history works, if you see what I mean.
  • Options
    I think if you want to be motivated to read a good way to do it is to rent out the classics on video (from the library), that can often get you interested in the story. Or to watch some plays, especially Shakespeare which can be awful to study but great to watch. Or get the books on audio tapes so you can relax with them on.

The way I see it, literature covers a huge span and includes more than just classics.

Try Vikram Seth, a modern "classic", I am reading An Equal Music at the mo. Or Frankenstein, that's good.
  • Options
    seth's the man. Have you read the golden gate?
  • Options
    I think if you want to be motivated to read a good way to do it is to rent out the classics on video (from the library), that can often get you interested in the story. Or to watch some plays, especially Shakespeare which can be awful to study but great to watch. Or get the books on audio tapes so you can relax with them on.

The way I see it, literature covers a huge span and includes more than just classics.

Try Vikram Seth, a modern "classic", I am reading An Equal Music at the mo. Or Frankenstein, that's good.

yeah, i know, if you read the beginning of the post, I have actually asked for contemporary classics as well (cannot get away from Bridget JOnes argh!)
  • Options
    are you interested in poetry as well?
  • Options
    are you interested in poetry as well?

don't flame me for this, but no I don't particularly like poetry.

Now, I know I'm going to have to study it, but for now i'd like to stick to prose - don't want to run before I can walk do I>

GarfOddie.gif
  • Options
    fair enough.
    Try anything by Philip Roth or William Styron. Both brilliant modern authors. Or Iris Murdoch?
  • Options
    fair enough.
    Try anything by Philip Roth or William Styron. Both brilliant modern authors. Or Iris Murdoch?

any particular Iris Murdoch book?
  • Options
    The Sea, the sea is good. only one I've read.
    Jeanette Winterson? oranges are not the only fruit
  • Options
    okay, all suggestions duly noted