Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Death of human touch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We are living in a technology world - computers, internet, mobile phones, airplanes, spaceship.......

People said technology brings people closer. But I dont think so.

I think technology makes people fall apart. Its true that now to contact someone is much easier than 100 years ago, much quicker, we can speak to someone on the other side of the world. But we are becoming more and more artifical.

Just like now, are you really talking to a group of people, or are you just simply typing things to the computer - to that damn cold machine who cant speak a word, has no emotion at all.

People said mobile phones connect people. Text messages are so popular. But it is sad - people dont even bother to hear the voice of other people, all they have with them are groups of words on the phone screen. They are just pressing the keypads, thats all.

In this generation people are too busy. They cant be asked to listen to what other people say, they have too little time to understand how other people feel. If they can slow down, they would discover there are lots of stories behind other people.

Sometimes I wish there is no technology in this world - no internet, no mobile phone, no playstation, family gather together, talk to their neighbours, play in the park. Everything simple but everything is so real.

Maybe I am the only one in the world think this way. Well then I go to bed :)

Comments

• Options
    Whats the difference between pixels created on a computer and sound waves created by your body? Both are simply a way of communicating.

Its still communication, regardless of the medium...

No technology in this world and you would be far too busy to even be able to comtemplate such things as this.
  • Options
    Re: Death of human touch
    Originally posted by Nice Kick
    Well then I go to bed :)
    ....after finishing up on the internet, texting a few friends, and having a play on the playstation.... :)
  • Options
    Re: Death of human touch
    no mobile phone

:eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    mmm see what you mean and kind of agree. good example being the awful trend of people breaking up with girl/boyfriends by text message or email. but i like to think that most of us, and i include myself in that, are able to utilise technology to ENHANCE our relationships. i know that personally i can never get enough of my friends and would spend every minute with them if i could. sadly that is not possible and so emailing and phoning or texting serve as quick easy ways to let another person know you are thinking of them.

you're right. there's nothing better than the personal touch, but hopefully we won't lose that in the wake of the technological tidal wave.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Whats the difference between pixels created on a computer and sound waves created by your body? Both are simply a way of communicating.

Difference is one is artifical, the other one is natural. They both do the same job but isnt it better to talk to something real rather than a machine?
  • Options
    Originally posted by weehazza
    i know that personally i can never get enough of my friends and would spend every minute with them if i could. sadly that is not possible and so emailing and phoning or texting serve as quick easy ways to let another person know you are thinking of them.
    Well if I get an email or a txt from a friend, sometimes I feel that it is the machine thinking of me, rather than the person thinking of me.

*I better go to bed before I go mental* :p
  • Options
    nick you are going mental. machines can't think - and at this late hour it seems that neither can you.

sleep well ;)
  • Options
    grr - and neither can i.

i mean Nice Kick ...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I wish people wrote each other letters more. there's nothing nicer than getting a hlong handwritten letter from a close friend... except that that usually only happens when something shit's happened nowadays. e-mails are so ephemeral and casual: I mean, they're fucking useful, but it would be so cool if we all wrote each other long thoughtful letters instead.
  • Options

Difference is one is artifical, the other one is natural. They both do the same job but isnt it better to talk to something real rather than a machine?

You arent talking to the machine though, you are talking to your friend using the machine. You are still comminicating with your friend.

Yes it would be nice if we could speak to each other 1-1 all the time but its not practical.
  • Options
    Anonimyty can't be achieved any other way, praise be for technology!
  • Options
    Pah!

I have shaken the hands of many members of the site, and all as a result of the internet.

Tonight I'm taking the train to visit Smoif again, who I met online. Tomorrow we're going out with friends from my chat-room, two of whom are travelling all the way from Scotland to come see us.

On the 21st of June I'll be back in my favourite bar in the world, The Hart in Chiswick meeting up with lots of other people from the chat-room, plus if anyone from here wants to come along, they'll be most welcome.

Right now I'm sat at my desk in the Dooyoo offices in Chiswick, surrounded by other staff from several companies who share the office. I was recruited to this job over the internet.

In all, I meet people as a direct result of the internet almost every day of my life. Without the internet? I'd be sat at home most nights with a much smaller circle of real-life friends and aquaintances.
  • Options
    i think all forms of communitcation are equally as important as each other.
    it shouldn't matter whether you get a letter or an email. it's still from a person who is thinking of you and staying in touch with you.
    i wouldn't worry about technology taking over, i don't think it would ever happen. if your the type of person who doesn't like recieving texts and would prefer a phone call then fair enough but for others its a way of life.
    sometimes things such as phone calls aren't conveniant which is where texts come in handy.
    i'm sure that at the end of the day people would rather meet up with each other, have a good old chat etc etc but people don't always have time. internet, text messages, letters, email etc are all simple, usful and in most cases a quick means of communication.
    alot of the times internet is also a form of amusment. i mean, if you weren't on the net now, what would you be doing?
    sat watching tv maybe, being bored? i know i would. just because i don't have this method of communication doesn't mean i'd be out with my friends talking to them verbally instead.
  • Options

Sorry, but from where I'm sitting they both look like natural phenomena to me... :)