Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Not paying D&D fine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey,

About a month ago, after several drinks in town I got into an arguement and was punched by some lad. A big riot escalated and I was arrested and charged £80 for D&D, after swearing and stupidly pushing and shoving a policeman. I wasn't kept in the cells, just taken back to my boyfriends.

The thing is I haven't (and still aren't) able to pay the fine, but (again stupidly) never contacted them as I just buried my head in the sand.

Now its way past the date it was supposed to be paid, and I'm freaking. Will I now get a criminal record? How long will it take for them to catch up with me? What will happen?

I'm really freaking now. Any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I doubt they would take you to court, but I think you already have a criminal record or 'caution' against your name for being fined.

The best thing to do is walk into the police station, hold your hands up and say you cant pay and have been too scared to contact them before hand, they are the only ones who can tell you for definate what they can do about it. If you dont its probably going to catch up with you one day anyway so it might be best to just suck it up now.
    my ex did this, they doubled the fine but let him pay it in weekly instalments. not too sure if he got in to any trouble for not paying....
    If you contact them before the date they will allow weekly installments as long as you have a reason.
    If you don't pay a PND within the alloted time then the fine is cancelled and a court summons issued.
    When you're at court the magistrate will automatically double the fine and give you another few weeks to pay.
    If you fail to turn up at court a warrant is issued for your arrest.
    If you fail to pay the fine it becomes a bad debt and court bailiffs are sent to recover the money.
    Lucid-Life wrote: »
    If you contact them before the date they will allow weekly installments as long as you have a reason.

No they won't. If you've accepted a PND your only options BEFORE the expiry date are to pay, or to formally request a court hearing. Only a magistrate can allow you to pay it in installments, however it's unlikely they'll do this.