Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Is it just me?????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I know you are all regulars here, you've passed the newbie stage, and your now respected members of this place. Thats just great. But whenever you're talking about anything, you always bring up newbies. How annoying they are, or how they don't mean to be annoying, or how they always get the wrong end of the stick.
Is it just me, or does being refered to as a newbie suck? I dont want to get off on the wrong foot with anyone, but Im pretty sure that when you were all newbies, being used as scapegoats for any bloody mistake in messages does get a bit tiresome? I know this is just asking for a flaming, but all I'm asking is for you to cut us newbies a little bit of slack. Is that too much to ask?
Please dont think Im trying to offend anyone, its really not my intention, but just to ask that perhaps you give us a bit of a chance?

And by the way, when am I going to meet this turtle? I hear he's already a bit of a heartbreaker here! ;)

Comments

• Options
    I know what you mean and I probably felt the same as a newbie. You've put your opinion across in a good way i.e. by not slagging everyone on here. I think it's an accepted thing because some newbies are plain dumb! But you don't seem to be, so I wouldn't worry :)

And as for the Turtle thing... GOD! Another little female newbie under the spell :D:p;)
  • Options
    I agree with you entirely. much too much hierarchy, which is a bit silly. Makes me think of 1950s public schools where first years have to warm the prefects toilet seats and so on. Most people are lovely, though.
    Sometimes people will ignore what you say and not disagree with yoou because they think you're wrong but because they don't think you have a right to post... especially in politics
    Having said that, it does pay to make sure you know the tone of the thing you're posting in, not to randomly insult people etc, which some people do and get thoroughly abused for.
    Not that I'm sufficiently far off newbie status myself to say this without a raised eyebrow from one or two people, but welcome to the site
    (I did the same thing as yoy with my 1st post, but in the politics board, which eld to an enormous protracted argument: I got thoroughly told to fuck off, but I still think I was basically right, if a little tactless in the way I expressed it - principally, calling people nutters - you seem perfectly polite, on the otehr hand)
  • Options
    heh.. you know these guys too well already...
    I got away with being bullied when i waz a 'newbie', and i still am one really, so I'm still waiting for it....
    But anyways - welcome!
  • Options
    Christ..always with the drama...Who cares if newbies get flamed...Its a message board, its not gonna effect you in any way whatsoever..

Just take any flames you might get and live with it.
  • Options
    Chill! I was only saying that I dont plan to be bullied as a newbie, but getting flames isnt exactly what I want either.
  • Options
    Scapegoats? Dunno. Some of 'em have evidently never used a messageboard before and the concept of an FAQ seems alien to them. They're annoying. As are the people who go to great lengths to be 'accepted.' It's dumb. No one here is any better than anyone else and we all get peeved by different things - you're never gonna be liked by everyone.
    A somewhat memorable name helps, I think. Sexybabyangel41364131315 doesn't really register with me. I'll want to kill you, but I won't remember you.

So yeah, welcome.
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Moomin-esque
    Chill! I was only saying that I dont plan to be bullied as a newbie, but getting flames isnt exactly what I want either.

True, true. I forgot to welcome you kiddo :) And by what I've seen of you, I wouldn't worry about getting flamed, you seem too polite and intelligent. Hey, you haven't even used text speak, lol!
  • Options
    i had a few people disagree with me when i was a newbie but i've kinda picked up on how certain people in here think so i know that some times i've to avoid writing certain things. just don't annoy anyone by writing silly messages that have been posted hundreds of times before and don't write things which you think will offend people and you should be fine. show them your a brainy newbie and not the average dumb ass!
  • Options
    *sighs* I know people blame anything and everything on the nebies but really its just a laugh. I never got picked on but then i kinda didnt hang out here to reached about a 100 posts so...*shrugs*
  • Options
    Wasn't the 'moomins' those cartoon hippos? I loved that show! :D
  • Options
    moomins scare the bejeezus out of me, rather like the clangers.
  • Options
    I never actually got reffered to as a newbie in my time here. It;s not just how many post you have, but how you act. I wasn't a regular from the start, but I seemed to manage to miss the newbie stage. Just don't make a big deal of it and noone else will.
  • Options
    Only realised what a newbie was until I reached the next grading, in this system :) Until then I just relied on Mindless... He he.

If you don't go and annoy people intentionally, and try to be a bit friendly, then you will go far here. Use text talk, be disrespectful, and slag everyone off, and you wont find yourself popular here.
    You can have your own opinion, but you must know how to present it. But no need to worry, from your post it seems like you already know that. A tactful way to say things, I must say.

As the other have said, you seem very nice and smart. I wish you a long and pleasant stay with the rest of the bunch.
  • Options
    As long as you post intelligently and with a bit of humour, you won't have any problems. And never use text talk. You seem like you'll be alright, judging from the way you've started. However, your name reminds me of a really annoying girl i know at uni. Never mind - I'll forget about it if you show any form of intelligence at all!
  • Options
    DAMN IT I FUCKING HATE ALL FUCKING NEWBIES AGGGAHAGAHGHAGGHGH:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    (not really, but I felt we needed a bit of balance from all this reasonable niceness)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Prufrock
    DAMN IT I FUCKING HATE ALL FUCKING NEWBIES AGGGAHAGAHGHAGGHGH:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    (not really, but I felt we needed a bit of balance from all this reasonable niceness)

From now on, you are the balancing guy! That means that whenever a thread becomes to nice you make it a bit mean and vice versa.
  • Options
    I doubtfully accept my post. Though never without a disclaimer, in case someone thinks I mean it, researches me, finds out where I live, leaves a horse's head in my bed, kidnaps my dog, and finally executes me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Prufrock
    I Though never without a disclaimer, in case someone thinks I mean it, researches me, finds out where I live, leaves a horse's head in my bed, kidnaps my dog, and finally executes me.

Way to go Mr-ruin-the-suprise!

*runs off to hatch new fiendish plan*
  • Options
    lol
    (nervously, in case she means it)
  • Options
    Gargh.

You will get flamed if you start suggesting people get flamed too often, because as a newbie you don't understand the integral role the process of flaming has in screening out newbies who suggest they shouldn't get flamed.
  • Options
    Ignore turtle, he's in a bad mood. :rolleyes:

Generally, newbies only get flamed when they do something stupid. Yes, people, not mentioning any names, can be a little harsh on them. I personally don't remember getting any hassle from the regs, but i kept my head down to start with and got my first hundred or so posts without making any waves. You seem to have the necessary requirements to fit in here without any major hassles (a rudimentary grasp of spelling and grammar, and at least the bare minimum of intelligence. Not that i'm saying that's all you've got, i'm just...*digging a hole* I'll be quiet now) Enjoy thesite :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miss Quoted
    No one here is any better than anyone else

Burn the witch!
  • Options
    Originally posted by captain kirk

Burn the witch!

*totters off in search of tinder and matches*
  • Options
    Scary? You want scary?!...

Moomins are cute... now Sesame Street... Oscar scared the hell out of me :( *shudder*

I never had any hassle in the newbie stage either, I didn't even know some got any until I saw some weird kid getting flamed! LOL! But I think he was really asking for it. I think as long as you don't pick fights, or make a complete tit of yourself, then you'll be fine :)