Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Adopting a European / Mediterranean Diet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I was in Spain for a week everyday at lunch we'd begin the meal with fresh whole grain bread, huge fresh amazingly flavorful tomatoes and put olive oil on it, etc and maybe some cheeses, etc

Went to someone's house yesterday and was given something similar and totally reminded me of how much I enjoyed eating like that in Spain

Then I was given home made veggie soup - everything was so basic and simple and nice tasting - no overly processed food like we have all too often here.

Anyone eat much Mediterranean styled food?

Comments

• Options
    Grew up by the med so had a med diet when I was a kid.
    I swear that's why I can't put weight on now... If I have too much fat or stodge I just feel really sluggish and horrible.
  • Options
    I eat alot of fish, if that counts.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    I eat alot of fish, if that counts.

Is it battered with chips and curry sauce? :razz:
  • Options
    No and no :p
  • Options
    BTW DG, you might want to have called the thread 'continental/mediterranian diet'... cos if you hadn't noticed Britain is in europe and I don't think that's what you were meaning.
    Just being nit-picky. :p
  • Options
    I was raised on a mediterranean diet as my Italian grandparents lived with my mum and I until I was 9 years old. I was really lucky in that I was taught how to make good meals using whatever is there, and ways to make basic ingredients taste lovely.
  • Options
    i was raised on a mediterranean diet asides obligitory sunday roasts when i was little, and adaptations when i went veggie.

I still eat a pretty mediterranean diet now, lots of pasta and rice, i make my own sauces most of the time (but i do a a pot for emergencies!), lots of fruit and veg, salads and not a huge ammount of meat. I don't live anywhere near the coast, so asides occational salmon or tuna, and maybe some pollock or haddock, i don't eat much fish (but i know this will change when i move though, i miss fish and seafood!). i do still have my currys that i make from nearly scratch (i use pastes, because i can't always get my hands on the right spices)...

i do have to say, that i do still have a pizza in the freezer and fish fingers, but they certainly aren't things i have often.