Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Netbooks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got one?

Which do you like?

I've seen an Advent one in currys which is basically a rebadged MSI and it had everything I'd need on the road including a builtin 3G modem and SIM Card slot.

Although I want to wait for more dual core netbooks to come out

Also battery life is an issu - not many of them last that long

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My bf has one and he really likes his. It's handy for him to do work when he on the train to and from work.

His battery last for ages, and I mean ages!!
    Samsung NC10 is what it's all about :)

Thats the one my bf has....he did alot of research on them all and that was the best he found especially for the price
  • Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    I've had to work with the Asus netbooks at work (running windows) and i have found them to be really slow and the build quality isn't that good either!

I think the Acer Aspire One Netbooks are a lot better - I have set a few of them up and found to be fast and easier to use.
    I think they are still around £250 but do have 1gb ram and a 120gb hard drive.
    DG wrote: »
    Anyone got one?

Which do you like?

I've seen an Advent one in currys which is basically a rebadged MSI and it had everything I'd need on the road including a builtin 3G modem and SIM Card slot.

Although I want to wait for more dual core netbooks to come out

Also battery life is an issu - not many of them last that long

If you want a 3g one I recommend getting one of the £30 a month dealies from a phone provider. Seems to work out quite cost effective that way.

My friend has one, they're quite nice, quite good, normally can find somewhere to plug it in so battery life isn't the biggest issue.

Porky - said friend got an Acer Aspire one for £160 so there are bargains to be had. PC world is still doing them quite cheaply I think.

I'm after one of the samsung NC20s when they come out.
    It's all well having a netbook with a chunky 120GB drive, but what about a solid-state one? Has anyone experimented with solid-state drives yet? My desktop PC has a couple of WD Raptors and I'm contemplating making the switch.
    I'm waiting a good year or so till they drop the price of peanuts :)

But I'd love to get a acer netbook! I just need to play around with linux more if I was to get one with linux on! And you all know how much of a Microsoft fan boy I am :) / Apple!
    Monserrat wrote: »
    It's all well having a netbook with a chunky 120GB drive, but what about a solid-state one? Has anyone experimented with solid-state drives yet? My desktop PC has a couple of WD Raptors and I'm contemplating making the switch.

All the original netbooks came with solid state drives and modified versions of linux. It's only cos of demand from people that they started shipping with normal hard drives and Windows...

Only problem with solid state drives is the cost, and when I've got a couple fo TB of storage I'd hate to think how much it'd cost with the equivalent solid state drives.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If you want a 3g one I recommend getting one of the £30 a month dealies from a phone provider. Seems to work out quite cost effective that way.

My friend has one, they're quite nice, quite good, normally can find somewhere to plug it in so battery life isn't the biggest issue.

Porky - said friend got an Acer Aspire one for £160 so there are bargains to be had. PC world is still doing them quite cheaply I think.

I'm after one of the samsung NC20s when they come out.

I already have a contract of £7.50p per month for 3GB with 3 Mobile and a USB Dongle. I do already have an ASUS 701 which I got a year ago when that was the only Netbook available but the screen is a bit small and battery only lasts 2.5 hours

Only problem with solid state drives is the cost, and when I've got a couple fo TB of storage I'd hate to think how much it'd cost with the equivalent solid state drives.
    & that they don't last long.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    & that they don't last long.

That last long enough, and there are things you can turn off in operating systems that are optimised for normal hard drives (like defragmentation lol) that will make it last substantially longer.
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular

There are 3 or more people here who bought NC10s after a lot of research. They are quality machines, have long battery life and have really good screens, the only thing they really miss is built-in 3g.
    You don't need to do that much research Saeed, most review websites put it at the top of the list :p
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    You don't need to do that much research Saeed, most review websites put it at the top of the list :p

A lot of the time said review websites don't quite get it right though, or you may find what they prioritise may differ to what you do, depepnding on what product it is.

Plus I'd rather do a bit of investigating myself rather than just relying on a couple of review websites.
    Ok so i've been looking for netbooks recently, what i wanna know is why the hell are they so much more expensive if they have windows installed? I can't get on with Linux after many a attempt. I've been looking at Advent laptops too, which i've been told are pretty good runners, any input would be appreciated.