Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Back Packs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going abroad for 6 weeks, Auz and NZ, and looking at buying a suitable rucksack, not sure what size to go for or model. features. Although from what I can tell it should be something that's good at sending the weight to your legs and taking it off the back.

I don't know what is a realistic weight to carry - I'd like to keep everything under 15kg in total, 20kg would be the max since that is the maximum I'd be allowed to take on the airlines.

Any recommended makes, shops, websites to look at?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Try before you buy!, I only a have a smallish light weight one but I knew when I tried it on that it was the right one. Your supposed to carry the weight on your hips, not your shoulders and back.

I quite like the eurohike ones. I've found millets to be very helpful in the past when looking for hiking/camping stuff the staff tend to be quite knowledgable.
  • Options
    Agreed, do some research online but go into a proper store to try them on, as the best rucksack in theory might be uncomfortable for your body compared to another one.
  • Options
    My trusty lowe alpine went all the way around the world with me in multiple planes and buses etc. and was barely even used looking afterwards.

I definitely agree with going to a decent shop to get set up with a backpack though. Especially with the larger ones you need to make sure that the back system fits your body and that it all sits properly when adjusted. Shun any place that doesn't let you try them out.

Still that was quite a few years ago now and I expect rucksack technology has come on a bit since.

I used a 65 + 15 which was pretty large and could be heavy if you filled it completely, but then when you have everything in one bag you need a fair bit of space. Plus it's better to have space and not need it etc..

I'd definitely recommend a back pack that you can segment internally.
  • Options
    have a look at gapyear.com they have a pdf guide to buying rucksacks which was really useful, i had a 70+20 which did me fine for 3 and a half months and i now live out of it (I travel the uk for work).

good packin is the key but i got the vango traveller which has some cool feautres
  • Options
    You need to try and guess whether you want a bag with rucsac straps, or a proper rucsac.

Bags with rucsac straps are these kind of things

Globetrotter.jpg

And proper rucsacs look more like this one

tfx_horizon_65_venetianred.JPG

The top ones are designed for travelling with, they are easy to live out of have big zip access that means they open up more like holdalls so you don't have to unpack and repack them to the same extent as a 'proper' rucsac. They also often have detachable daysacs, which can either be very handy or a complete pain. They are however pretty bloody awful for walking any distance with.

Rucsacs designed for walking have much more adjustment and have been designed for you to walk with over long distances. Generally have a range of pockets and dividers and a main access flap at the top, and then often a hoop zip at the bottom so you can get things in and out from there too. They're much more faff to live out of but better for walking with.

Size wise, personally I'd say don't got below 65l all in and not above 90l all in because beyond that they're getting huge and unweidy and you'll just fill it up with junk and make your life harder.

Definitely go into a shop and try them, the weight should ideally all be going onto the hip strap (goes round your waist, weight goes onto your hips) and the shoulder straps in a perfect world are only there to hold it onto your back. You can always find one you like in a shop and order that model online if there's a massive price difference.

Rucsacs comes in mens and ladies. If you're a lady, check out both, if you're small or slim man then check out the ladies ones as well.

When you try them on, ideally you want to be trying them on whilst loaded up, some of the shops will help you do that, failing that books, bottles of water and blankets to pad them out with are a very good way to try it with weight in.
  • Options
    i used a 65 litre one for a month round eastern europe. wieghed about 15kg at most which is plenty when its so hot because carrying heavy bags in heat sucks!
    i can imagine you would want a 65-70 litre bag if you're planning on carrying it for a while each day.
  • Options
    my advice would be not to buy some cheap one just to save money.

you don't have to spend hundreds, but a decent one will last you years/decades/forever.

its worth spending £10 more to get one twice as good.

I got a decent one from millets last year.
  • Options
    I agree don't buy an unknown cheapo brand, but unless you're scaling mountains or hiking miles, how much will you be wearing it? Don't go mad on price. I've travelled for months and the bag has probably only been on my back for an hour in total (usually static in the back of a bus, plane or tuk tuk). I like to challenge myself to go as small as poss. I use a diddy mid-range NorthFace.