Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Summer of Violence?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/23/police-civil-unrest-recession

Here we are again - another recession, more social problems and this time no emerging Ecstasy fuelled rave culture to soak up the disaffections of a generation!

Seriously though, if you read the article in more depth, several key themes become apparent. The police know there are going to be protests, they know that people are broke, desperate, and angry. Some of these people might even be police officers.

What's going on now is that senior officers are priming the public mindset for a 'we told you so' when things really kick off, and hopefully it will soften the blow to the public psyche when they are called upon to do a 'difficult job, in difficult circumstances'.

I don't disagree with that phrase, but if you read into the article further you can see less noble motives at work. There is a clear historical precedent for the police in this country acting and reacting to civil protest in underhanded and knowingly deceitful ways. The 70 'injured officers' - the 'weapons' at the Climate Camp.

People have a right to be angry - the Rock has become the most prolific repossessor in the sectors, according to Radio 4 - despite being majority public owned. These repossessed houses are not even ones that are viable in current markets.

People losing everything, banks bailed out, but no rescue package as yet to stop repossessions, despite the public housing sector being no where near capable of soaking up the excess.

I'm rambling slightly so I'll try and propose a more focused topic for discussion of this particular issue - what are your predictions on this possible 'summer of violence' - in particular relation to the vague references to shadowy 'hardened activists' orchastrating things from shady corners - sounds like reds under the beds again to me...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I find the idea of middle class mass rioting just a little far fetched. Yes there will probably be protests, will they spill over into violence, its possible but I doubt it on a wide scale.
    I agree you won't see wide scale riots until the welfare checks stop coming in the mail, or until continued bank nationalisation drives £ so far into the gutter that a loaf of bread costs £5. don't think it can't happen.
    Coming up later this year, it's New Labour - We've Fucked Up The Country: The Gordon Riots. In a special edition of our comedy-drama, millions of people are fed-up with rising unemployment, the blatant thievery and corruption of our MPs, and the completely ungrateful bastards currently running our banks. Watch the UK follow the lead of Iceland, Eastern Europe and Ireland, rising up in protest in their millions. Just what low will New Labour descend to in order to stay in power? How will the unelected Gorgon react when people turn up at Downing Street demanding his head on a platter? And will the country default on its debts, going bankrupt?

All those questions and more will be answered in New Labour - We've Fucked Up The Country: The Gordon Riots - coming to a street near you soon.
    Wasn't it last year that I predicted a loaf of bread will cost fifty quid this year?
    Crazy stuff.
    Yoiu'll see.
    Wouldn't mind it, it's been a while since I've been involved in some general public disorder. :thumb:
    Senor Miguel and Morrocan Roll,

You are not the only two discussing the price of price. Here is a page from a book by Ben Bernanke published at the turn of the century. His name rings a bell !

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MryLRLgkjGQC&pg=PA10&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=0_0#PPA19,M1

I wonder if he considers Federal Reserve Notes as nominal anchors ?