Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pill question.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How often is it safe to run two packets together? I'm on microgynon 30 (though thinking about asking to change it cause it seems to be affecting my weight and my mood) and currently on my break. My problem is that because of a problem I'm having where my lady-bits are painful when touched (making tampon use uncomfortable - and they irritate the problem and slow down healage), and because my periods are horribly painful anyway, I want to ask the doctor when I next see her if I can run my packs on rather than take the break. I know everyone is going to say "painkillers and pads" but painkillers are expensive when you're taking basically a whole damn pack every time, and my periods are too heavy for pads, plus they chafe, and that is more uncomfortable than tampons, and I really really hate them because they make me feel disgusting.

So yeh, how often can I do it before I need to take a break again? Pleaseandthankyou :).

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to run 3 packets together (any longer and I'd have breakthrough bleeding). In my last year of being on the pill I had 4 withdrawal bleeds. When are you next seeing your doc about it? Is there someone you can ask about it in the meantime? I can't remember if I spoke about it with anyone, it was quite a while ago.
    I tri-cycled my pill for 4 years because of period problems. But this was because my gynae told me to and you're only suposed to do it with your doctors say so.

If your periods are that bothersome you really should be seeing a gynaecologist if you aren't already.
    I'm seeing the doctor on Thursday, which is when I start my next run of pills anyway. I've asked my mum what she thinks and she immediately shot me down and said to 'just use pads'. Eh.

Lu_C - my periods aren't intolerable if I have the right painkillers with me, but I never do, which I know is my fault. The only reason they're so bad right now is because of the pain and the irritation of putting tampons in. I might have to see a gynae anyway because of the pain thing so if I do I'll ask them then.

I'm hoping I wouldn't have to do it for long but I have no idea when the pain thing is going to get any better so :/.
    I think your mum is talking sense though - regardless of the pill issue - if your finding tampons uncomfortable to use you shouldnt' be using them full stop - your just likely to be making your other issues worse and could lead to secondary infections. I know it means more faff but its much better in the long run to give yourself a break from them for a few months whilst you sort everything out (you can buy super soaker pads from the maternity section of a chemist/supermarket)