Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Two Queries - Bed & Banking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Two very different thing's I know !

First of all due to a lack of space in my room I need to replace my double bed. i don't want a single bed as that will be just too small. I have noticed though that there are "Small Double" beds and "3/4" bed, I'm not entirely sure if they end up being the same thing but from what I have seen "Small Double" is about 15cm smaller in width than a regular double bed.

Can anyone recommend something that matches those requirements? I have had a look around the net but haven't found much that stands out. Price wise It's got to be below £200 nothing more. Matress wise, well I know Memory Foam is best but way beyond what I can afford so just whatever is next best I suppose.

Secondly the banking question.

I want to open a savings account. I have no idea about savings accounts but what I do know is I want a decent interest rate and easy access to my funds. I need to be able to, at any time, walk into the bank and take out money from said account.

ISA accounts have been touted around before but I've never looked into exactly what they do/are. I'll do more research on that tomorrow though.

Ideall I'd like to do it at the end of this month. Again I'm just looking for recommendations.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You probably won't find many good interest rates on savings accounts at the moment. Try http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Beds I'm not sure about. The only problem with funny sized beds will be with getting stuff to fit them later.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    From looking at advice recently about bank accounts, the best place would possibly be a NS&I account through the post office. I think they are offering some of the best deals at the moment. Not sure about the whole going in and withdrawing at once malarky though.

With regards to beds, IKEA have beds that are different sizes to most. But then that means you are destined to have IKEA bedding for the lifetime of the bed.
    A small double/three quarter bed (one and the same) in the UK is 120cm x 190cm. They're not entirely common, but most lower-end bed manufacturers will do them in their cheaper ranges. Problems are that you will struggle to get a good quality bed, and as has been pointed out, getting bedding will be a nightmare - although I would just get a double duvet and use double bedding (flat sheet instead of fitted!).

European sizes (including IKEA) have 3/4 beds at 120cm x 200cm, although these are much more difficult to find.

Memory foam is not the best thing to sleep on, in most cases, unless you are bed bound. It's just marketed that way. Plus it's not breathable and doesn't always conform to fire safety standards (they get round it by classifying it as a medical item instead of furniture). The best (and usually most expensive) mattresses are pocket sprung, usually with a pillow top.

All that said, for £200 you are likely to be limited to whatever you can find - probably coil sprung. But tbh, this is not necessarily a bad thing, and will definitely serve its purpose.
    Mist wrote: »
    You probably won't find many good interest rates on savings accounts at the moment. Try http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Not really on topic but is it really so in the UK? Here in Iceland I'm getting about 10% off my overdraft account which is pretty much the lowest interest rate you can get.

Then again, almost everybody is so much in debt here that they can't save much. :lol:
    Olive wrote: »

Memory foam is not the best thing to sleep on, in most cases, unless you are bed bound. It's just marketed that way. Plus it's not breathable and doesn't always conform to fire safety standards (they get round it by classifying it as a medical item instead of furniture). The best (and usually most expensive) mattresses are pocket sprung, usually with a pillow top.

I love your extensive bed knowledge. It amuses me so.
    Mist wrote: »
    I love your extensive bed knowledge. It amuses me so.

I knew my shitty jobs would have their uses down the line!
    xsazx wrote: »
    isa's are useless to you, they offer higher interest but one of the conditions are you can't withdraw money from them in set time periods (mines three years)

rest I'm useless on sorry

Only if you lock the money away in a fixed period account,which do tend to offer higher interest then instant access accounts do. Few places are offering a decent rate of interest at the moment, but an ISA is a good place to start as the intrest is paid tax free, and the goverment seem to be quite committed to them staying around at the moment, which is good as when the economy starts recoving you'll be better placed intrest wise. You can only save £3600 in a cash but most are instant access. (can you tell I used to temp in a bank ISA department?) Shop around on somewhere like money supermarket for a good deal, you often find one from the big high street banks.
    id just get a single. Youd get used to it