Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pets/Cats/Student House/Landlord

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience negotiating a compomise with their landlord regarding the "no pets" rule. I read online that some people have managed to convince their landlord to allow pets provided they pay an extra pet deposit in case of any damages (i can't imagine what damages my cats would do, all they do is sleep!) I'd be interested to know if anyone's had success or failures with this issue...

Comments

• Options
    I have, but you need to offer another deposit for 'possible pet damage'. This is usually around half of the deposit you've already paid. The only reason that this will get rejected is if the landlords insurance does not cover pet damage, so its worth asking before you pay anything.
    Hope that helped,
    K x
  • Options
    that sucks i want a cat too for our house but there is a no pets rule i dont wanna force my mum to fork out loads for a cat.
  • Options
    I got permission for a cat, I had to pay an extra two weeks of rent ahead compared to if I had no cat. I said when I saw the place that my offer was subject to being allowed a cat, if he hadn't agreed to the cat I would have gone elsewhere.
  • Options
    My housemate was abit sneaky and brought his kitten up in January without telling the landlord. Our landlords terrible though, she hasn't been round once since we moved in so she wouldnt have a clue anyway!
  • Options
    i just never tell the landlord