Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Belfast museum sued by DUP politician for not agreeing to Creationism exhibit

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Right, so you've finally established that the person you were talking about has actually done some scientific work. So maybe now, you can explain to us all why his findings pose problems for the fact that evolution happened? Because that's what we're talking about here. Not that every single detail is as accurate as it could be. I don't have access to those websites, so I can't read the conclusions of any experiments. But since you've read them all, you can give us the jist?

If you are able to access this fairly recent article you may notice the fallibilities.

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.archaeology/2007-12/msg00528.html
    You really are revealing yourself as someone who doesn't have a clue about this subject, you know. Okay, hypothetis 1: if evolution is correct, fossil A will be between fossil B and fossil C in age. We can test that. Hypothesis 2: if evolution is correct, DNA sample A will have the following genes in common with sample B, but fewer genes in common with sample C. We can test that. You make a prediction based on the theory, and you test it. And the tests always confirm the theory, no matter what field of science you happen to be working in. Incidentally, you aren't suggesting that we haven't seen evolution occur with our own eyes are you? Maybe you should go to the dog tracks sometime to see the results of utilising it.

What I do see there are many assumptions. I am unclear as to what,if anything, you are trying to prove.

And courts make judgements on things they weren't there to see. It's a little thing called evidence. If there's a fossil of a dinosaur, it is reasonable to ascertain that a dinosaur once lived. You don't need to be there to see it. If you know the principle of carbon dating (of which there are many different types, all pointing to the same results) from chemistry, you can then say how long ago this fossil was a living. Every piece of evidence that arises is exactly as it would be if evolution was true.

I do not think you know how courts work. (Eye) witnesses give evidence. Judgements are made on that apparently true and accurate eye witness accounts. There are strict rules on perjury which often have more serious consequences than any alleged offence.

We are back to the accuracy (or lack thereof) of carbon dating.
    But you're completely ignoring the actual issue of this topic. What is your opinion? What should we teach to our children in science lessons, and to the wider community through museums?

Well this topic has ,erm, evolved from it's origins. I pointed out early in the thread that once you agree to stick your snout in the trough and contract with the public sector you suffer the consequences, whether you are a corporate body such as a museum or a parent with the need to educate your children. If you are concerned about what YOUR children are taught perhaps declaring yourself incompetent to take control of that situation is not the way to go. That, ultimately, is a choice for the parent(s) to make.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm done with this debate. You're obviously completely incapable of arguing any of the points you make. You talk about assumptions, but refuse to name them. You talk about problems with carbon-dating, but you refuse to give an account of them, or explain the implications for evolution. You cite efforts to improve the accuracy of radiocarbon dating as if it shows any issue with evolution whatsoever. I can't be arsed with constantly having to guess your argument, so I'll leave it there.