Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

日本の労働者のためのイギ&#12

McBroon told a Sunday newspaper recently that he would create 100,000 jobs as part of his plans to get us out of the recession. Back in 2007, he told us that he wanted to see "British jobs for British workers". His words, and the ones I will judge him by. So what has the Government gone and done today? Well...

"The Government was criticised today for awarding one of Britain's biggest contracts for new trains to a Japanese company. Unions and Labour backbenchers were angered by the decision to award the £7.5 billion contract to replace the ageing but iconic Intercity 125s on two of the country's busiest rail routes to Agility Trains, a consortium whose key member is Hitachi, the Japanese manufacturer of bullet trains."

You can trust Geoffrey The Hoon to balls up with pretty much anything, can't you? And this when we recently had wildcat strikes over the use of foreign labour! The trains will be designed, engineered and built in Japan by... well, Japanese workers. The only bit that's being done in this country is the construction - apparently, that will create 12,500 jobs in this country. Yes, and I'm Superman...

Pathetic. But at least if the trains are made in Japan, they might actually work. Over to you.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    To be fair there is only one train manufacturer left in the UK and they have a relatively full order book anyway, most of the new trains recently were either built in the UK or by Siemens in Wildeenrath, Germany. I don't believe the spin at the number of jobs being created either, I'm fairly certain the talk of new depots is bullshit and will simply be expansion of existing depots. If new depots will be created there will still be job losses with the loss of staff at existing depot facilities.

Hitatchi are unproven in UK rail too, the big test will be to see how the Class 395 Javelins perform on the CTRL when they launch.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the government is to be believed (and I know that's asking a lot :D ) 12,500 British jobs will actually be created or safeguarded.

Probably through this:
    new train-making plant will be built at one of the following places - Ashby de la Zouch, Sheffield or Gateshead.

As well as the new factory, there will be new depots in Bristol, Reading, Doncaster, Leeds and west London and upgrades to existing depots throughout Britain.

so it's actually a good thing.

I don't know what the technical differences are between products, but the government would be doing far more harm than good to the country in the long term if it ended up buying an inferior product only because it was made in Britain.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    As well as the new factory, there will be new depots in Bristol, Reading, Doncaster, Leeds and west London and upgrades to existing depots throughout Britain.
    I don't know what the technical differences are between products, but the government would be doing far more harm than good to the country in the long term if it ended up buying an inferior product only because it was made in Britain.

A production facility and 5 new depots doesn't equal 12,000 workers. A new depot in the UK typically will have a maximum of between 300-400 workers on depot, that's if they are dealing with between 40-50 trains a day, more than what these new depots will work with. These new depots will also be in cities and towns where there are existing rail depots which service the Intercity 125 HST trains - once the HST go some of these depots will have very little other stock to work with and will no doubt face the chop. Production factories too dont have a massive work force, Bombardier in Derby have around 2000 work and a much bigger order book that this order.

As for the specification there is very very little to be bid for, the trains have to fit the UK gauge and be built to a general British spec, the only thing left to Hitatchi and the other bidding companies will be who supplies the components (very little choice of companies in most components) and the internal and external design, and most of all for the Government how much it'll cost.

I don't believe the lies for a second, Hoon is clueless, when he doesn't even know the age of the largest train fleet in the UK you know for certain he shouldn't be in charge.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If the government is to be believed (and I know that's asking a lot :D ) 12,500 British jobs will actually be created or safeguarded.

Probably through this:

so it's actually a good thing.

I vote Ashby! It's down the road from where I live in Leicester :D. Leicestershire was on the news for having one of the higher rates of unemployment in the country atm :yeees: the problem is there are so many people there who are not economically mobile and really just nowhere near enough investment in jobs (unlike say London or any of the big cities really where people are nearly always starting new businesses or expanding current ones).

Sorry to digress a little bit though :p
  • Options
    Ashby is leading at the moment but its hard to say where Hitatchi will pick in the end.
  • Options
    Looks like they need the jobs more than us atm.