Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Warrant for arrest...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my bf used to be a bad boy but he's really turned his life around, he's got a job, doesn't speed or anything. He's got a few criminal convictions, nothing spent in prison or anything but fines etc. Then about 6 years ago he was supposed to go to court for something but didn't turn up, his mates got off but he never turned up or was contacted or anything.

Anyway, the other day we were stopped in the street by the police as he was (REALLY STUPIDLY) smoking a joint in the street. Luckily I had put his weed in my bag and they didn't search me. He gave a fake name and address etc and they let him off and were quite nice.

I have never been so scared in my life. I've been naughty but I've got one of those faces butter wouldn't melt and have never been caught, arrested or anything.

What happens with a warrant? I know there's no statute of limitations and the only way that it can get cancelled is by owning up etc but he won't do that.

I don't know what the court date was for... nothing too serious I'd imagine and don't feel like asking but is there any way other than owning up that he can ever be free from this. I feel like we'll always have to be on the look out and he can't visit anywhere like the US or Canada etc.

Comments

• Options
    It'll catch up with him eventually, we have a list of people who we occasionally go and look for and there are numerous other ways of finding someone who we're serious about finding.

Aside from owning up, the warrant will never be cancelled, so it'll affect foreign travel, buying a house and getting certain jobs.
  • Options
    I presume the fact his mates got off wouldn't affect his punishment for fleeing? Or does it just mean he'd have to go through another trial?
  • Options
    I presume the fact his mates got off wouldn't affect his punishment for fleeing? Or does it just mean he'd have to go through another trial?

I think it would make it worse because obviously he didn't turn up but he would have to go to court etc.

He's been really careful about jobs and things too, he works in sales and they don't have his home address or even a phone number for him there, and he already owns property but it's his parents and they have it in his name.

He told me last night it was for criminal damage like general vandalism stuff when he was about 18/19... seems so silly that he would drag it out like this. I wish that this wasn't the case but I REALLY don't want him to go to prison or anything.
  • Options
    I doubt he would go to prison over criminal damage, however, due to it being so long ago obviously the punishment will be a lot worse than it would have been at the time.

It seems like his whole life is one big lie which isn't good, therefore, I think you should encourage him to hand himself in. Either way he can't hide from the law all his life, it will eventually catch up with him. At least then it's sorted and he can move on and live a normal life without having to watch his back on a daily basis.
  • Options
    I think it would make it worse because obviously he didn't turn up but he would have to go to court etc.

He's been really careful about jobs and things too, he works in sales and they don't have his home address or even a phone number for him there, and he already owns property but it's his parents and they have it in his name.

Does he really want to live the rest of his life like this? Stuck in a neverending stream of sales jobs and other menial work? Do you really want a life where you aren't free to move around?
    He told me last night it was for criminal damage like general vandalism stuff when he was about 18/19... seems so silly that he would drag it out like this. I wish that this wasn't the case but I REALLY don't want him to go to prison or anything.

The amount of time and effort he is going to, to cover his tracks suggests he did something worse. Nobody goes to prison for minor vandalism, and nobody goes to so much effort to cover their tracks for it either, certainly not to the extent of falsifying details at work and living in a house belonging to someone else.

Either he is GROSSLY misinformed about what sort of sentence he would get, or he is lying to you and did something worse.

I may be completely wrong, but I am a suspicious fellow after all.

He has to decide what sort of life he wants.

A life of dead-end jobs, not being able to own a home and constantly looking over his shoulder. Or he does what he should have done 6 years ago and hand himself in and face the music like his mates did. At least if he does, it will be at a time and place convinient for him. These old warrants never die, every few months they get resurrected and an officer is assigned to do more digging. Everyone leaves a trail of some sort, it isn't difficult for a cop with some time to pick up a trail.
  • Options
    Some great advice there Whowhere and believe me you're preaching to the choir. I'd much rather he'd get it all sorted out and move on with his life, however he's actually doing rather well in his job and just got a promotion and given the situation he's really turned his life around. I think that the charge may have been a bit more than that and I have a good idea of his past (he's an ex crack addict that used to run with Yardies and gangsters etc....dark shit) but he's not involved with any of that stuff now. He's been clean for a few years now and is so driven and motivated to succeed I hate to see him with this albatross around his neck.

I could never make himself give himself in and I would always stand by him whatever happened (except murder though I doubt highly that it's that bad) because the person who he was then from what he's told me and from what his friends and family have said to who he is now is worlds apart.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Truth is that if it's a relatively minor offence that old, the police are very very unlikely to come looking for you.

That's doesn't mean it won't catch up with him though. If he gets arrested again, or wants to travel then that might sets off a few flags for the police - but then it may not. I've had mates skip court and nothing happen to them - the police have even missed it when they've been arrested at a later date for something else.

It comes down to whether or not you want it hanging over your head. I'd phone the gavers find out, and possibly arrange an arrest by appointment.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Do not put his weed in your bag.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Do not put his weed in your bag.

Well, no I shan't be in the future.... it was purely by chance because his pockets were full. And we HAD just been about to pick up some other stuff and I am SO glad I said that I wasn't in the mood. Else we would have been royally fucked.